New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muscadine pie
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Most of y'all have never heard of muscadine pie. It is an old southern treat. It is more of a cobbler than a pie if you are a strict rules cook.

Basically, one makes a muscadine pie/cobbler the same way as one would make a cherry or apple cobbler. The one main exception, of course, is that you use muscadines instead of apples or cherries. However, there is one important part of the best muscadine cobbler that one just cannot overlook......

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 566 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
For the muscadine cobbler, one must squeeze out the goody from the muscadine grape saving the hulls for later. Then one must slow cook down the innards of the grape to have the seed separate from the rest of the innards. Then one must strain the seeds from the sweet goo that once was the grape innards.

Once one has the sweet goo from the innards of the grape, put the goo back in the cook pot and add back the hulls. Add any other spices that one prefers in at this time. Slow cook this goo and hulls for a bit.

Put all the goo, hulls and spices in a pie crust in your favorite pie pan and cook in the oven til done. The hulls will soften up and mix with the goo and spices.

If you have done every thing right, you will have a semi-firm cobbler ready to chow down on.
Muscadine pie is fantastic by its lonesome but we also add a touch of whole cream or home-made vanilla ice cream to the concoction.

As they say, this will make you want to slap grandma because it it is sooooo good!!!!

Lips a smaking,
DanL

Posts: 566 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Since this discussion is about campfire cooking, I can say that we have been successful cooking a muscadine pie in our dutch ovens also.

Ain't none better,
DanL

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, as for me I have never cared much for grapes of any kind, and particularly not muscadines.

There is a local winery near here that makes various kinds of grape wine. Some of it is pretty good, but I don't like the muscadine wines.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We had a Muscat vine when I was young, but never cared for the grapes. They won't grow where we are now, so, I'll give this one a pass. Might be adaptable to other types of grapes, however. Like Concords maybe.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2011 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow! you folks need to adjust your taste buds. Wink

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol.

Posts: 2011 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm a deep South Georgia Cracker and Southern cuisine is a world apart from any others. Home made muscadine wine is very nice but not factory made versions. I love about all the reds and try to keep at least one bottle in reserve.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Judging by my profile, you could be excused for thinking I like food. Well, you'd be correct. There are very few foods I just wouldn't eat. Southron vittles are among my favorites. I have no idea why muscat grapes don't agree with me, but there it is.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
My dad made scuplin wine when I was little. Scuplin is a southern common name for the scuppernong, which I understand is a variety of muscadine.

I don't believe I have had the pleasure of muscadine pie tho!

Posts: 177 | Location: Kooskooskie River Country | Registered: 02 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
https://www.southernliving.com...n/plants/scuppernong

Another "learn something new every day" for me. Thanks, Hanshi!
~Kees~

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post