Notify
Tools

Who else is like me?
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Really good stuff all.
My wife say's I was born in the wrong century all the time.
I'm trying to work on a period outfit. There has always been a fascination, and want, to work around my house and hunt in period attire. I own a lot of woods and spend a good portion of time in there. Been doing it all my life, not gonna stop now. When I was young I made my own moccasins from a deer hide and a pair of britches from old wool pants. I added a plain felt hat and a shirt I had gotten from my dad. With that and my trusty percussion rifle I built a lean-to near our farms stream and spent almost an entire summer camping there.
The history bug hit me hard early on in life.
I have been using the same flintlock to hunt with for over 20 years. I just can't get enough.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
When I was 11 or 12 we lived near a golf course that had several nice white pine groves. One of them was near a lake. In the winter I would throw on my longies, my skins and my capote, grab my fire kit, a candle lantern, and some jerky my Grandad & I had made, and I would sneak onto the golf course and sit in the grove by the lake, start a small fire, and listen to the wind whistle through the pines, fantasizing I was out in the big woods somewhere.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
BCR,we have a lot in common,we also are trying to build a garden from raised beds,the soil in our part of Oregon not being fit for much besides growing rocks....I do wish I'd discovered Buckskinning earlier tho there wasn't much 'skinning going on where we come from.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
The wife and I live in a 100 year old log cabin and we haven't bought vegetables in years. We live off what we can and freeze. We also have chickens that we raise for meat and eggs and are planning on adding goats for meat and dairy next year.
We heat with wood and have a couple of horses for riding. We are slowly turning our lives into a much simpler 1800's style.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You should try pickling and canning. OK canning isn't 18th century, but it's pretty good to keep some of the bills down if you get a large crop of something. One of my neighbors has a neat trick..., they live in a townhouse as I do..., they stopped at a truck-farmer's stand and asked him if they could get a price on a large quantity of stringbeans, squash, and pickling cucumbers. That brought down the costs to make canning and pickling worth their time.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
We have raised beds due to the Delaware sand. They work wonderful.

We also raise chickens,German New Hampshire and Delaware's, for meat and eggs and have Nigerian dwarf goats. They are dual purpose, but we only use them for the milk.

And, as LD said, try canning, it's great. Apples, peaches, figs, watermelon, and plums are some of the fruits Delaware has a lot of. We can these, in many ways, for later. Pie fillings, sauces, and plain in syrup. We also use the many vegetables we harvest as well. Also soups and pickles.
The local farmers market usually have a lot to offer and we get a lot of vegs/fruits.

We do buy some fresh from the store, but we try to get all the preserving in during the summer/autumn.
Peaches in syrup in December or watermelon rind in February is a treat.
My wife makes all of our breads, pizza shells and pie crusts, then we freeze them for later.

Be sure to read up on proper canning though. The old ways are no good in my opinion. We use the hot water bath and pressure canning methods and only use modern recipes. I got real sick once from an old method. It wasn't pretty.
There is also "freezer canning". It works good too.
And no, it's not 18th century, but it is quality food, no unnatural preservatives and is so much better for you. Plus, you did it.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
We just got a dehydrator so I'm excited about using that. We have a goal that every meal we eat has something we either raised or preserved.
During the peak of our harvest season we had a budget of $20 a week for groceries, the rest came off the farm.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Last spring I moved out to a half acre of sage brush way off the beaten track with a few friends and since then we've built some rooms using sand bags, dug an out house, adopted a donkey and twenty chickens. Place is looking downright civilized compared to when we first moved out there! No running water or electricity to be had but we rigged up some solar panels for a little electric. Still hauling water and probably always will be. Future plans for the place include a tannery and black smith shop. With the weather turning cold again we're pickling anything that'll pickle and going to the mountains for fire wood. It's tough living but it's ours and none others, and that is a great feeling.

Posts: 22 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when my wife and I are eating it will occur to us that the only Items from the store are coffee and seasonings.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't have the duds but I applaud the look and all the putting by and making do being talked about. As to canning not being 1700's,it is still in the spirit of making ones own way and not so dependent.Least that's the way I see it.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post