Find
Notify
Tools

Native Portrayal
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Mike I cant say what was used on those bows . But I can tell you that lot of the paint work seen today , is done with markers . Then the work is sealed .
My great GG grandfathers horn bow according to my Grandfather , was painted with earth paints . It was then sealed with , again according to my grandfather , the liquid that was collected from the inside of animal eyes .
When I was a boy , the bow was over 100 years old . I remember the colors still being very distinct .

As to portraying AI .
We come in all shapes and sizes . Some have strait hair , others curly hair . Some hair is brown , some is black . Some have facial hair , some don’t .
I once had a Psa girl friend who had the bluest eyes one would ever see . We used to tease her about there being a white man in the brush thicket LOL
I do remember her mother saying that her great grandmother also had blue eyes .

Anyway there is also the option of playing a captive . Which once adopted into the tribe , would dress just as any other AI . Thus we read about so call renegades with red hair .
Then you have the Tséral tuétahä Apache which were known for their Red hair .
As to being grey haired . LMAO .
We forget that not so long ago the life expectancy was very short . If you made it into your 30’s you were old
While im of mixed blood , my grandfather was not . He was very proud of his grey hair .
My own hair started turning grey by the time I was in my early 20’s .
It was a very big deal to him . But it rather Pi$$ed me off LOL .
Today ,even though I have a full head of hair , I shave my head . Thus when I do go to events , I wear a prosthetic scalp lock .
IMO skin tone is the hardest thing for a person to properly do because it varies so much between peoples .
While im of mixed blood and thus have lighter skin tones . I get dark rather quickly just by being outside .
My sister on the other hand , is blond with brown eyes . She is also very , Very light in skin color

What I would sugest doing is to do research into the different peoples and how those peoples looked and dressed during different time lines .

Here is a photo that was taken of myself at a local voo while on the shooting line .
PS i dont wear face paint at events unless that event is a re-enactment that contains a battle

and here is another that was taken at my wife and my wedding , some 22 years ago

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captchee,

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Captchee, Thanks for all of the hints even though for now all I want to do is make the bow look authentic. And I've already got the blue eyes so that won't be a problem.
One problem I do seem to have is getting that cup of coffee I promised to you last March. Let's plan on taking care of that. If you come back to Monroe next year, we'll meet at a designated time and a particular table or display. If that doesn't happen, I'll see you at Seneca. (Seneca is almost in your backyard...) And I expect to have my bow done and ready to show off by the time the doin's at Seneca roll around. Of course, I'll need lessons on how to use it... Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
sounds good mike .
i plan on Monroe each year .
Seneca would be great as they have a very good shoot
normally i make Seneca , troy , and yellow jacket for sure . this year though , i have not made one event . I just could not get the time off from work .
we were planning to make Yellow jacket . but we were just told that all time off requests for Sept . /Oct have been canceled as our inventory has dropped for those months .

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Captchee, So, does "Captchee" come from "Captain?" And, while I don't really pursue looking like an Indian I do favor many of their ways. When I hunted in northern Quebec my guide was an Inuit. Our camp was just a few yards from an ancient tepee ring of stones. I didn't know the Inuits used tepees but that ring of stones told a tale. My guide told me several things and his father was a spiritual leader of the tribe. Once, after I got a ptarmigan with a canoe gun, he offered to show me how they cleaned and prepared the birds. Of course, I accepted and then watched while a real expert did his job. First he opened the breast without a knife, then removed the innerds. But then he held out three of the organs; the heart, liver, and gizzard. As he put those pieces to the side he explained that those were good to eat but because they (Inuits) always shared, those pieces were left for the falcon. After that example and explanation, I always share when I take something from nature. That is a good way to be.
And when I mentioned Seneca I was referring to the next PPR coming in June, 2013. Of course, I'll be at Monroe too. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Captchee, So, does "Captchee" come from "Captain?"

ya , the first part does , the chee comes from cheeto .
long story but the short of it is that i like cheetos .
My platoon used to keep me with a good supply.

Well one afternoon , I wasn’t being to careful and left orange Cheeto finger prints on a memorandum to our Troop commander .
Well one thing lead to another and Captian Cheeto became Captchee

Factor
posted Hide Post
Captchee, We'll have to drink to that, coffee or otherwise... Shoot sharp, Mike

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Captchee,
I remember the story. You related it to us no too long after you joined the campfire. Good to hear it again.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard it before but a good way to get a name. Sure are some worse ones Smiler

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Just Dave
posted Hide Post
Pete, I don't even try to be the young guy. I'M OLD. I have a set of leathers that are Lakota. I have learned a little Lakota. I do a BRONZE, (sun tan in a bottle).Then I set in front of my 20 foot TP, nod once in a while and mutter a Lakota saying and sleep alot. Well???? it works for me. I get lots of rest this way. "Just" Dave

Posts: 6 | Registered: 10 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post