muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Head Scarf

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/91610091/m/8924030148

01 September 2016, 06:35 AM
St Michael Fasthorse
Head Scarf
First, thank you all for all of your help on my other posts.

I am currently finishing up getting all of my clothing together. ..seeing and making everything that I can.

Here's my question...head scarf (do-rag) ...is there a period correct size or did they just use whatever size cloth they had on hand. Do you tie it much like we tie a do-rag bandana or shemagh around the head?

Thanks again everyone!
01 September 2016, 11:45 AM
Loyalist Dave
I can't tell you how they did it as sources are scanty on who wore them regular on the head as head covering vs. as a neckerchief, and we don't know how they tied them.

As for a shemagh, I was always taught that it wasn't a shemagh unless it was tied so that it could cover both the top of your head and your face, and I don't think there's enough documentation to say if they did or didn't cover their faces with them. They do get sand storms in parts of the United States where men with flintlocks once roamed, and the skeeters and or black flies in some places might make a shemagh like garment a good idea at times, eh? So who knows.

I like a square yard, 36" x 36", folded into a triangle, and if I need it I tie it bandana style over my head. I often carry a spare piece of hunter's orange cloth that size for many reasons and one is a last minute head covering in case I get out to the field and realize all my blaze orange is at home.

Tied head coverings suck in my opinion. Eeker Big Grin They soak up water and it runs down into your eyes, when it rains, but they are better than nothing.

A neckerchief, however, is so essential in the field, that it was adopted by the Boy Scouts as part of the uniform from day one, and I'd say, " Don't leave home without one. I have used a neckerchief to:
Keep crap from going down the back of my hunting shirt,
As an emergency sling for a hurt arm,
With a group of five other guys to connect a pair of saplings to make a stretcher for a very hurt companion,
To wipe sweat from my face,
To gather food,
to keep my neck warm,
to keep the sun off my neck,
To wipe the pan on my lock,
To wrap around my lock as an emergency cow's knee,
To hold parts from my rifle while doing repairs in the field,
As a hot pot holder,

So I'd say get one for sure, but consider a round hat with a brim of between 2-3 inches, as it acts a lot as a modern USMC "boonie" hat does in the field, and keeps the rain out of your eyes, gives shade from the sun, and wear the cloth as a neckerchief.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove
20 September 2016, 09:24 PM
walks with gun
What Loyalist Dave say's, and if you do any hunting or trekking and get caught in fowl weather, you'll be wishing you had something else on your head than a piece of cloth.
13 June 2017, 01:49 PM
Rio
There has been sooooo many opinions on this one. My thought is don't over think it, it's just a piece of cloth your sticking on your head. The present is often the key to the past.
22 June 2017, 09:37 PM
Bud in PA
i have a silk 36 x 36 neckerchief. I find it amazing how this thin piece of material keeps my neck neck so warm. I can also tie it over my hat and under my chin to keep my ears warm.
24 June 2017, 07:22 PM
Boartooth
Linen seems to have been a historical fav,but yes,a chunk o' cloth is good to have.There was even a sly,sideways reference to it in "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"..."never go anywhere without your towel"!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin