New
Find
Notify
Tools

PATTERNS
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
WHO HAS EASY TO FOLLOW CLOTHING PATTERNS. LOOKING FOR PANTS, SHIRTS AND HUNTING FROCK.
THANKS.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 15 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well "easy to follow" is relative. IF you're like me and started sewing clothes when not actually having been taught to sew..., it can be interesting. For example, a common instruction will read, "with right sides facing...." which confused me as I said to myself, "How do you tell the right side from the left side." This story gets a laugh from people who sew a lot with patterns..., as a "right side" is the side of the fabric that people will see when the piece is done. DUH who knew ? Eeker

For shirts, there really is no pattern. It's all squares and rectangles. You will need a copy of Tidings of The Eighteenth Century by Beth Gilgun, for how to sew a shirt. The neck slit is a bit big in the instructions, btw.

Smoke and Fire Company carries a bunch of Patterns. Eagle View, Period Impressions, and JP Ryan all offer knee breeches patterns, and you simply omit the knee closures and lengthen and sew the leg pieces. Eagle View offers a hunting frock pattern, but most hunting shirts were simply large men's shirts out of thicker material, split up the front in the center. So when you have a shirt that's done and fits you as you wish, you used the same directions, BUT you add like 2-4 inches to all the pieces, except for the length of the sleeves, and only add 2" to the collar where it closes.... make a shirt from heavy linen, then open it up in front.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3833 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VRH:
WHO HAS EASY TO FOLLOW CLOTHING PATTERNS. LOOKING FOR PANTS, SHIRTS AND HUNTING FROCK.
THANKS.

Modern patterns can often be easily adapted for period clothing. Just have a book of the period clothes available to reference from.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello, The previously mentioned book by Beth is great. I’ve got a couple of others that are good too.

THE FRONTIER RIFLEMAN by Richard B LaCrosse, JR.
This book has many sketch drawn patterns of clothing that has the right look.

One of my favorite shirt patterns came from INDIAN HANDCRAFTS. How to Craft Dozens of Practical Objects Using Traditional Indian Techniques by C. Keith Wilber. This is a very interesting book.

The Sketch books such as Mountain Man Sketch book, depending on your particular interest then match up the book, all have good clothing sketches.

The Book of Buckskin books have several as well.

For paper patterns check with James Townsend and Son. Crazy Crow, Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gunworks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Might check out the Book of Buckskinning,they have lots of patterns in the books.

Posts: 1830 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post