New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jas Townsend
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Does anyone have or use a Townsend wool blanket shirt? Just looked at them on their site and they appear to look warm

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I got one about 10 or 15 years ago. Mine has always kept me warm.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I bought one 3 years ago ,very warm and it still fits me.

Posts: 81 | Location: N W Florida | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Is yours 80 20 wool or 100% wool also how did their sizing run? Thanks

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Benny
80% and just a bit large,what part of MD are you located in.

Posts: 81 | Location: N W Florida | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Frederick Md,I am 6'2" 22o I was going to order 2x what size did you order?

Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I just looked, mine has an XL tag in it, and was made from 80/20 wool. I'm porting a few more pounds than you and can wear the blanket shirt over a light shirt okay. I think Townsend has a sizing guide in their catalog and website - I'd take my chest/shoulder/waist measurement wearing whatever I planned to wear under the blanket shirt, like shirt and waistcoat for instance and see what the sizing guide said. If in doubt, call them and get their advice.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny:
Frederick Md,I am 6'2" 22o I was going to order 2x what size did you order?

6' 2" 230 +/- more + after the holidays, wear xl in the subject shirt and ex Walkersville and Frederick resident.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
How long did you live in Walkersville

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the blanket shirt, but I have ordered a couple of pairs of breeches from Townsend. I called in my orders and spoke with a very nice lady who helped with sizing. I am happy with the results. I don't know if the blanket shirt is a stock item or made to order. If it is made to order, they can probably make it to your measurements. That's what they did with my breeches.

I have been happy with Townsend. Good products, good service... Good folks.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny:
How long did you live in Walkersville

76-82

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lads - A bit of a heads up here. IF the 20% non wool in those shirts is one of the new, synthetic materials you may want to reconsider. IF a spark were to land on that it will burn a hole in a split second... I saw that happen to a fellow a couple of years ago and he may still have the scar. That small burning ember (that jumped out of a fire) went from a small spot to a 3" hole in a split second.

100% wool is what our ancestors wore, and so should we.

Just sayin'

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Guys, just a heads-up on wool. By law, wool fabric can have a certain percentage of other fiber and still be labeled 100% wool. I THINK it's 5%. So bear that in mind the next time you read labels. It's been some time since I took that college class, so I could certainly be wrong. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on the subject. -Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linda Scurlock,

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ibought one about 5 or 6 years ago. Idon't know if it is 100% wool but with a tee shirt, linnen shirt, blanket shirt,and cotton hunting frock I have been warm down to 20 degrees. I am 5' 11" and 220lbs and wear an XL. I only paid $35 for mine.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Scurlock:
Guys, just a heads-up on wool. By law, wool fabric can have a certain percentage of other fiber and still be labeled 100% wool. I THINK it's 5%. So bear that in mind the next time you read labels. It's been some time since I took that college class, so I could certainly be wrong. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on the subject. -Linda

The following are from the labels on a few of my wool blankets

."Guaranteed ALL WOOL" Witney
."Pure Virgin Wool" Jacobs Oregon City
."Fine Pure`Wool" J. Scheltema,Leiden Holland

I guess my money is on the Witney

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Note to self...No matter what the label says, watch yerself 'round the flamey stuff!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Sarasota, FL | Registered: 06 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
By law, wool fabric can have a certain percentage of other fiber and still be labeled 100% wool. I THINK it's 5%.

yes, I was told by my local weaver that because of the modern milling machines, the law was written to permit this as they have to add a very small amount of synthetic fibers to the wool otherwise it will break, but a hand loomed piece does not need this small percentage of non-wool.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sixgunsam,smart idea....Ok,where do I find hand-woven wool blankets?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Benny I have a Townshend blanket shirt in 2XL, I'm 6'0", dress out at about 235 and it's plenty big for me, it's part of my winter garb for sure.... Layers up real nice over my Duofold Union suit, silk base layer long sleeve, linen work shirt, & wool waitscoat. Linen frock coat slides right over it all, a toasty little package really....

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post