New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a beaver hat
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Where is a good place to order a free trapper style beaver hat ?

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Did you ever find a place to buy a beaver hat? Clearwater hats made some nice hats. I saw one on EBay recently. I’m not sure if they are still in business.

Check with James Townsend and Son. I got one years ago from Bents Fort store

If you find an unformed blank, you might recommend getting it oversized. Then you can thicken the felt by pouring steaming hot water and then placing it on a head form. I made mine from a styrofoam wig head that I wrapped until it matched my head size. Once I had it thickened and fitting my head, let it totally dry. Once dry I used a steam iron and flat ironing board and ironed the brim until it was flat then shaped the brim to a pleasing style. I sewed in a leather hat band and silk liner. Made a leather band on the outside. It’s a thick nice beaver felt hat that still fits and looks great.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Look at Clearwater Creek website and call them about their hats. From reading tonight on their website, they only use furs like rabbit, nutria and beaver. They offer a premium hat that is 100% beaver. I found nothing on their site explaining what the different grades are priced at. I would recommend calling. They are made in AR. High quality handmade hats here in the USA.

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Dirty Billy Hats, Gettysburg PA

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3834 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post