MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Period Clothing    Source of blue wool for breechclout???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source of blue wool for breechclout???
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Lads - I seek some lighter weight wool in a dark blue to make a breechclout. I tried Burnley & Trowbridge, but all they have is a very light tone that is not pleasing. I also tried 96storehouse, but their website does not come up.

Any suggestions on where to look? I am sort of pushed here as I want to get this made up for the May trip to Martins Station.

Help is appreciated!

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Could you cut up an old pair of blue wool pants or blanket say from a thrift store...and have enough material to make a breechclout?
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
You can find suitable weight suiting wool at Joanns fabric store. I assume you have malls there.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
look for 100% wool broadcloth or similar

some sources - and yes it can be expensive

http://www.najecki.com/repro/Wool.html

http://www.renaissancefabrics....oadcloth-royal-blue/

my regular go to source..
http://www.wmboothdraper.com/s...e=index&cPath=1_9_34

Here it is in navy blue
http://www.wmboothdraper.com/s...info&products_id=677

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
I would go with the William Booth Draper blue wool flannel, especially for May......

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Is the broadcloth that Crazy Crow sells any good?

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublelong spring:
Is the broadcloth that Crazy Crow sells any good?

Im not willing to spend the money to find out. The Red had issues that pretty much doomed their rep.

Now I heard that one of the CLA's darling children was going to be supplying Crazy Crow, but that was before his family situation changed dramaticly......

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lads - Thanks large on the info. I ended up with the Wm Booth, Draper dark blue that was suggested. Spoke with a very helpful gal there who seconded the comment re good for a warmer setting, so that seems appropriate.

I await the shipment now. It ended up not that costly. It was $17 a yard and I got two yards - I figure I can find lots of use for any leftover.

Thanks for the help.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Crazy Crow broadcloth - it was the red stroud that some folks reported having problems and that was due to the color bleeding (which I wasn't quite sure why it was such a problem since I have used stroud from the 1860's in the past that bled and one of my Dine neighbors is a weaver and she still uses dyes made from old wool, including some old pre-1900 stroud her Grandma left her - she makes her dye in two batches, first by soaking the wool in warm water with the pot set in the sun for a couple of days. She squeezes out the excess and then takes that cloth and boils it to get any color left). As for some of the other broadcloths such as the three band and 5 band I've used a fari amount over the years for later 19th Century stuff and it is excellent, but then again it's quite a bit more expensive then the broadcloth from Wm Booth Draper and some others.

Col Boone you should be plenty happy with your purchase - I used some of the same cloth from Draper for my clout (albeit in scarlet)that I've worn for the last 6 years or so and it's still going strong. Since I live in the SW where it can get plenty hot, I can state it works nice for summer but yet is still plenty warm when cold weather comes (this year we had temps as low as 23°F below zero). To keep it lighter weight do not full it - before cutting it up (I tear my seams rather than cutting when/if the wool allows) pre-wash in cold or at most warm water and use a good (non-scented) fabric softener which will help soften it, which ones cojones will appreciate Wink.
If you cut your clout out right you should have enough left over to make a nice lighter weight match coat as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreyWolf,

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance....after looking at the different links that Greywolf posted...I can now see why a old pair of wool pants...or blanket might not fit the bill as per my first post.
Thanks for sharing those...
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
GreyWolf - Thanks kindly for the tips and tricks - seems I should be able to get through this.
What about lining it? The one clout I have (in red,which I do not prefer) has a lining of linen in the "hot zone" and I wonder if that is needed, is helpful or unnecessary.

It should be here this coming week and my Good Wife is ready to attack the sewing - after the application of a few bucks for her play money..
glad to support her.

I am not sure how much will be left over - we shall see.

Col Boone

Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
The caldwell clouts are lined, but I see no need, and actually think that the lining does more for causing a bad case of swamp culo than keeping the itch down

Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
I agree with whole heartedly with Montour - no linings for me although I do put a twist in it as showed to me many moons ago by an Old Blackfeet gent who was born in the late 1800's and had a worn a clout all of his life. Try it - I find it works better for me than just running it straight - done right it makes a pocket for the family jewels.....
BTW - that old gent took pants, cut the seat out and made leggings out of them!

aka Chuck Burrows