Find
Notify
Tools

Hat Blanks
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted
While at a Ren Fair earlier in the month, I bought a light weight wool hat blank. I would like to stiffen the brim a little.

What could be used to stiffen the hat a little, and not make it like a board?

Any help would be thankful.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
LeeRoy i use cheap hairspray that i stole from my wife it not only stiffens the hat but makes it semi waterproof

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Same here,,hair spray,gots to be purty you know!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the hair spray tip Guys.
I will have to barrow some and give my hat a lite shot.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the hair spray is that it isn't permanent. Big Grin If you get a real soaker while wearing the hat it will wash out. That also means if you have an accident and it gets sat on or crushed, you can dunk it, and reshape it, and then add more hairspray.

If you need something more permanent, I made a Hessian Jaeger hat, which is a very flat faced "cocked hat", but I used real shellac to stiffin it. When dry it won't react to water like hairspray, but I have to be careful it doesn't get damaged or crushed.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Dave

Thanks for the shellac tip, I will keep it in my
idea's section.

Keep you powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.