New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moccasin material
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I am thinking of making a pucker toe center seam pair of mocs. ..I have a nice medium-heavy cow leather pair of chaps...I was thinking the weight would make a nice set of mocs with a nice heavy sole which would last awhile.

Has anyone ever used a heavy sueded weight of buckskin leather for pucker toe center seam mocs?
If I soaked them in mink oil to soften before sewing, would that help?

Thankyou for all of your help

Posts: 12 | Location: Delphi, Indiana | Registered: 17 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The question really is going to be flexibility. I use either elk or moose, and neither are as stiff as cowhide, but suede just might be supple enough. I make center seams mocs though. It might work better as shoe packs, something like a "Ligonier" , which would give you more durability as you could double the soles.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In Regardere: Mink oil.

Some years ago I was given a pair of very nice hand beaded buckskin Lakota pattern moccasins with buffalo rawhide soles just in time for the Washington early muzzle loader deer season. They had been put away wet and were very like trying to put run over teapots on one's feet. Being grateful for the gift I was not going to toss them out and the only leather dressing I had was Mink oil. I warmed everything up, soaked the moccasins with the oil and put them in the now cooling oven to dry somewhat. A few days later the deer season began, so I dressed in my best period gear with that stinking oil all over my feet. The moccasins, although vile of stench, were quite comfortable.

Apparently yellow jackets have an overweening dislike of mink for whatever reasons. Because I soon noticed that my feet and legs were decorated with a furry black and yellow coating of little stinging
warriors. By the time I could get my mocs and leggings off both legs and feet were covered in painful lumps. my hunting partner was doubled over in cacophonous mirth. It was days until I could sleep well and I missed a week of work. My feet and legs were sore for two weeks. My primary care doctor says it would be worth the expense and the space in my hunting, camping and fishing gear to carry a first aid kit containing anti-yellow jacket stuff and a couple of 2 ml insulin syringes and some medical alcohol, although any fluid containing at least 75 % proof of ethanol would work and taken internally would ease the discomfort until it wore off. He recommended Meyers's Navy or Cruzan Clipper 150 proof Rums so long as I kept well back from the fire.

I will testify that at least in my experience five or six ounces of fairly good skull varnish does indeed ease the pain and induces sleep

OH, God bless Craigslist 'cause that's how I rid myself of those beaded, mink oiled horrors. Got $75.00 for 'em, I did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Three Hawks,

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lololol,I don't mean to make light of your travails,good sir,but it has apparently reached humor distance in your own memory.This is good to remember just for general knowledge(note to self:never use mink oil to condition my foot gear).Did you ever get an explanation as why this occurred?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Three Hawks I'm sorry but I busted a gut at your story.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
WTH is the insulin for? unless you are diabetic and should know what you need for that I have to ask HUH??

I am diabetic and no matter what period I am in will have what I need to live.

Playing is not worth dying IMHO.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Three Hawks:
In Regardere: Mink oil.

Some years ago I was given a pair of very nice hand beaded buckskin Lakota pattern moccasins with buffalo rawhide soles just in time for the Washington early muzzle loader deer season. They had been put away wet and were very like trying to put run over teapots on one's feet. Being grateful for the gift I was not going to toss them out and the only leather dressing I had was Mink oil. I warmed everything up, soaked the moccasins with the oil and put them in the now cooling oven to dry somewhat. A few days later the deer season began, so I dressed in my best period gear with that stinking oil all over my feet. The moccasins, although vile of stench, were quite comfortable.

Apparently yellow jackets have an overweening dislike of mink for whatever reasons. Because I soon noticed that my feet and legs were decorated with a furry black and yellow coating of little stinging
warriors. By the time I could get my mocs and leggings off both legs and feet were covered in painful lumps. my hunting partner was doubled over in cacophonous mirth. It was days until I could sleep well and I missed a week of work. My feet and legs were sore for two weeks. My primary care doctor says it would be worth the expense and the space in my hunting, camping and fishing gear to carry a first aid kit containing anti-yellow jacket stuff and a couple of 2 ml insulin syringes and some medical alcohol, although any fluid containing at least 75 % proof of ethanol would work and taken internally would ease the discomfort until it wore off. He recommended Meyers's Navy or Cruzan Clipper 150 proof Rums so long as I kept well back from the fire.

I will testify that at least in my experience five or six ounces of fairly good skull varnish does indeed ease the pain and induces sleep

OH, God bless Craigslist 'cause that's how I rid myself of those beaded, mink oiled horrors. Got $75.00 for 'em, I did.
Oh man! I feel your pain. Me and a buddy were scouting some hunting land once and I stepped on a yellow jacket nest. We were both running around slapping at ourselves! We both laughed at how ridiculous we must have looked when we got away from them. I was stung 18 times. The stings weren't that bad, but the next day the red welts itched like the dickens!!!!!!!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post