New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lakota woman ca 1807
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hey folks - I hope you can help me - I just finished 3 deer hides (10 to 12 sq ft) for my woman to make herself a dress - I also did two small antelope skins for her leggings. These are all brain tanned - she wants to portray something that will compliment me and has decided on Lakota or Shoshoni woman ca 1800-10. Problem is I can find no examples of dresses from that era and I have searched the internet for museum pieces and the paintings/drawings I have seen are all 1830 or later.

Any sites or examples you could point us to would be very helpful

Thanks

Dan'l

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
a good description of a lakota womans dress circia 1800-1810 might be hard to come by. very few white men had even seen a lakota by that time period or even knew of their existence. until the corp of discovery very little was known of the lands west of the missippi

a day in the woods with a flintlock refreshes a man's soul

Posts: 191 | Location: Battlefield,Missouri | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Dan'l,
I can't help much, but I do know that as the Canadian traders began to have an economic impact in western Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas (think Dacotah, Nakotah (Yankton, Yanktonai) and eastern Lakota) the "western" Indians were considered more wild and "exotic", meaning, I think, less dependent on European textiles, etc. I would guess that means traditional but simple plains-style full-length dress (i.e. not a skirt with a calico shirt). If I think of a good resource I'll let you know.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
I recommend the book 19th Century Indian Dresses by Susan Jennys

http://www.amazon.com/19th-Cen...resses/dp/1929572018

She shows a Lakota Side Fold Dress that would be very early 19th Century.

Here is an excellent website with an example and details on how to make one.

http://stitchinguphistory.blog...e-dress-details.html

The typical two-hide dress pattern would have been common by 1830's. I am not sure how early the two-hide pattern started. The link above also gives great details on how to make this style dress.

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's another part of that blog with more detail on pre-contact dress.

http://stitchinguphistory.blog...n-wore-pre_3911.html

She has a great website! Explore and soak up the details and great examples she shares!

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Have any of you tried this site?
http://womenofthefurtrade.com/home.php
You can get a great deal of information from it.

Posts: 12 | Location: Jacksonville, Fl | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim milam:
a good description of a lakota womans dress circia 1800-1810 might be hard to come by. very few white men had even seen a lakota by that time period or even knew of their existence. until the corp of discovery very little was known of the lands west of the missippi

Perhaps a better response would be few English speaking Euro-Americans instead of White men, unless you dont consider French and Spanish folk "White"

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post