New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnuts for dye
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
Okay Gents,I need walnut hulls,,who has them?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I don't have any right now, but, unless there is a total crop failure I should have some in a few months. How many do you want?

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Just hike on over the mountains to Tennessee this fall. Walnuts can be found almost anywhere. You can have them for the effort of picking them up off the ground.
There must be some on your side of the hills.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Haggis,for what I am hoping to dye,it will take 1/2 pound or so Wink

Rancocas,them wal nut trees is getting scarce over here Eeker

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I will try to remember that. When they start hitting the ground I will get some before the squirrels do and get your mailing address and send some your way. You can tell everyone you had them "imported".

Bill

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In fact, I have a black walnut tree in my front yard. It is not a big producer, but I guess I could get a couple pounds of nuts from it. Sometimes my mower will send a walnut off like a shot.

I might cut it down and save the wood for some projects.

There are several others up and down my road. Many of the nuts get crushed under car tires when they fall in the street in the autumn.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
come up to Christiansburg this fall and I'll take you to the Izaak Walton League Club Park and you can pick up all the walnuts you might want or need. Also, you can get hickory, hazel and chestnuts too.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
In the Springfield, Mo craigslist a couple days ago I saw a post for free walnut hauls by the truck load. Maybe check the craigslist where they are processed in your area.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I just re-dyed my dress out shirt with walnut husks from last fall. I boiled them in a bag and got a pretty good shade of brown. You can get a deeper shade by using green husks, but dried will work in a pinch.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
mtnmike,

I have green walnuts that I can send you now, but, I will need your mailing address.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Another good media that I've used for dye is oak bark. Just finely chop oak bark and boil in water to leach out dye. Strain bark, add vinegar, test with a small piece of fabric to check darkness.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post