Find
Notify
Tools

Wool Blankets
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted
Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on where I might find a good quality wool blanket that would fit the F&I time period.

I know the Wilde blankets are no longer being produced, and the Hudson Bay Point ones are a little past my chosen time period.

I have several of the military surplus blankets, but they just aren't as thick and heavy as something like a Hudson Bay Blanket.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
If you haven't yet, go to the Links page on the Muzzleloader Mag homepage, and go to "Northwest Traders". They may not have what you're looking for, but they've got blankets!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
some of the european surpluss blankets(cheaper then dirt/ Sportsmans guide etc) will come in white or lighter colors or you can use Rit color remover to turn them white, Ya may need to carry two to get the same warmth but the weight will be about the same over all,n the price is right hehe cheap is good but free is better LOL Just some thoughts YMHS Birdman ps watch the wool to manmade material content on the european blankets

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Turkey Foot Traders has the Czech Republic wool blankets that are grey and would probably work for you; http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html
You might also try the online auction sites and place a bid on whatever looks the part. I found a half dozen 100% wool blankets including one genuine HBC example for cheap over the years. Goodwill and Craig's list are good places to start, but the best time to buy a blanket is during the summer months.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/se...rder=a&showthumbs=on

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Steve Stanley
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you can get them in the USA,but Dutch army surplus are very thick in a Green colour........

Posts: 231 | Location: Leicester U.K. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I have switched to Alpaca wool blankets! They are lighter and I found them to be warmer than a thick i.e. Hudson Bay. I found a couple on Ebay for under $15!!! I only use one alpaca compared to 2 of the others for warmth and weight!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice...thanks for all the input!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of James Hunt
posted Hide Post
Now that Wilde is unavailable suggest you look into Rob Stone Blankets. Use the below link or contact him directly.

http://www.highhorsetrading.com/

His work is very well regarded.

You may also wish to try south union mills although I don't know how well they'd work for F&I war. They are white with some stripes on the end. See them at::

http://www.southunionmills.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James Hunt,

Posts: 13 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have found the surplus military ones from various places to suit the level that I play at and very easy on the wallet as well.Good for Matchcoats as well, lighter ones for leggins also. You just have to watch what you get, now and then there are some that seem to be "pressed" together like Oriented Strandboard Sheething" (OSB) these are not so good to try and cut and sew.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Try at Kochartex.. It provides the best quality Blankets made up of 100% pure wool, which provides you extra warmth. Its woolen blankets woolen blankets are workable in extreme cold also..

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I started using Alpaca wool blankets and have never looked back. They are lighter in weight for trekking, just as thick and warmer! You can find them on Ebay, cheap, or have one made for about $300.

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Please be sure to check the wool content before you buy. 80 percent wool and higher is good, but you will find those that are 40% Alpaca wool, and 60% acrylic..., and although cheaper, not really what you want, and avoid getting close to a fire to avoid melting it.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right LD.....but I had mine made and it's 100% and did a fire test, as well as the one on Ebay....they are out there.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Alpaca is good if you are portraying a GauchoSmiler

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Alpaca is also good if you are "cold"!!! LOL

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I am just pleased with Tibetan market for woolen wearings. They were made up of genuine wool material and warmth I got was very conservative. I just ordered dozen of variety winter wears and blankets and hope it will be delivered on Sunday at my home.

I offer truck driver jobs to responsible drivers.

Posts: 4 | Location: 9073 Dold Dr,Fairhaven, MA 02719 | Registered: 10 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post