Find
Notify
Tools

Used Clothing
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted
Does anyone know where to get used period clothing?

I'm looking for some gently worn period clothes, but can only find new.

Thanks

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
The sources that come to mind are along traders' row at a 'vous, online at americanlongrifles.org and at longrifle.com. The two websites have 'for sale' sections and sometimes used (and new) clothing shows up.

P.S. the ALR site takes Wanted to Buy posts, too, so you could post what you wanted plus any size or color info and see if that prompts a response.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCLoyalist,

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
How soon do you need the stuff, what stuff do you need, and what sizes? You could wait until next year and come to the Fort Fred market fair, and find some excellent bargains. I am checking on a living history flea market that is supposed to be soon, and will post that when I get a reply.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
OK the good news:

SATURDAY Dec 7th, Upper Chichester Community Center, Upper Chichester, PA. Living history, reenactor flea market. Usually has between 20 -30 tables of stuff. Clothing and gear.

8500 Furey Rd
Aston, PA 19061

Bad news: not limited to 18th century, so you will find stuff for 19th century and WWI and WWII reenactment there, but no modern firearms. Probably not nearly as good as going to Fort Frederick.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
A couple of sources for used clothing include the "Virtual Round Robbin" on theHistorical Trekking dot com and the Trading Post category on the Frontier Folk message board.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!!

LD,
I will be going next year to the Fort Frederick Market Fair. There is also one at Dixon's Gun Shop in PA.

I went to a market fair last weekend and the prices were a bit much on some stuff. Not a lot to choose from either. I am just trying to get more ideas of how to get reasonably priced clothing. I plan to wear them a lot, working outside, hunting, ect, to get a better understanding of actual 18th century life. I can't see, or justify, spending hundreds on certain articles that will get worn.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah that's because the stuff was probably new at that event, no? Go "blanket trading" at the market fair and you will find acceptable stuff if not good stuff for good prices.

The only things you can't skimp on in this hobby..., footgear, guns, and your shelter. The rest is up for bargain hunting.

LD

Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
LD,
Yes some was new, yet some was used. I think it was the crowd too. Most seemed to be spectators and did not appear to be living history buffs.
The prices seemed to reflect this. I'm a farrier and blacksmith, so when I see small 5 inch hooks selling for $30+, I walk away.

I will take your advice about the shoes ans such. There are some things I will not skimp on.
Thanks again!!

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Go to the nearest rendezvous and check out the blankets. I got an excellent hunting frock for $30. But my daughter really showed me up when she picked up a heavy thick capote for $5! Last week at the Old Va. Primitive Riflemen rendezvous I got a 3 cornered hat for $10.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Also check out my friend Shawn's web One Blanket Trading Company. At his prices you my want to forego buying used for some things.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonedog:
Also check out my friend Shawn's web One Blanket Trading Company. At his prices you my want to forego buying used for some things.

Has One Blanket ever told you how come he is called One Blanket?

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
It's a funny story. If you know Shawn, you should ask him............. WAIT I just put "Swanny" together with One Blanket, you know all about it!

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That has the sound of a good yarn......?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
I was there, but it's One Blanket's story. Well, at least his version of it. Next time you see him ask him about it.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'll definitely keep an eye out for him,does he lurk hereabouts?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
There is always ebay. Longhunter, Rendezvous, Reenactment clothing are good search titles.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post