New
Find
Notify
Tools

patching clothing
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Possibly the dumbest question asked here but here goes. Would a single common soldier, farmer or hunter use a thin piece of buckskin to patch his shirt(I was thinking of chamois cloth) I patched the holes from the inside but need to patch the outside as well, my tailoring skills are sorely lacking so need to keep this simple but historically correct. I'm sure clothing was patched numerous times and with whatever was available, but would appreciate some opinions on this.

Posts: 25 | Location: northern Mn. | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
It's not impossible by any means, but...,

Where did the soldier or farmer get the buckskin? Deer were pretty scarce East of the Appalachians in colonial times a decade or so prior to the AWI, which is why the hunters would pass over the mountains into the Kan-tuc-kee hunting grounds. Also, chamois is not buckskin, and a lot of folks might notice that.

Unless you're doing Valley Forge in Winter or Pensacola during the Spanish Invasion, patching is good, and you probably should find another piece of cloth. It doesn't need to be pretty; it just needs to work.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
Just use material to patch with. I portray at times a veteran infantryman on the march and my trousers are patched with 4 differant types and color of material (butternut, grey wool, red and white cotton) which shows the rough use clothing went through in those days.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other posts. Brain tanned buckskin would have been harder for a soldier in the field to get.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's, I found some matching fabric and lightly died it in a tea bath, patched both shoulders inside and out. Doesn't look too awful bad, it won't be seen under a weskit anyhow. Guess I'll just have to stop flexing in period clothes.

Posts: 25 | Location: northern Mn. | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I think you done good! Wink

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
I patch my clothes with pieces from a pair of my knee britches that are beyond repair . Color doesnt match but thats ok by me.

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post