New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colonial french attire
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I need help for an upcoming encampment at Fort.Jean Baptiste.1750s era. What style weapons used? Womans clothing? I have Rev. war clothing already. How to conduct oneself to properly demonstrate to the public a living history persona.I am still new to this. Trekking is my usual venture.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lori,

Start here with this site http://frenchinwisconsin.yolasite.com/

I think I have another for you that may help, but I have to get back home first.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
I was going to send you to the clothing standards for the Toulous marines, but that webpage has been "Suspended"

It had very good info on appropriate attire for colonial period civ impressions.

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help. I am trying to learn a little french now too. What dialect would of been used at that time?

Posts: 14 | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Quebecquois is about as close to 18th Century French as your going to get.

It certainly is not the Modern French taught in HS and college, or via Rosetta stone

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post