Find
Notify
Tools

help me water proof a frock
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Greetings.
I am looking for any advice on how to water proof a frock, or at least make it water resistant. I would prefer to keep it period but would take a lot at all options.
Thanks,
Josh

Posts: 19 | Location: ohio | Registered: 31 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Maybe warm up some beeswax and tallow then rub that into the frock?
While not waterproof,I use this combo on my leather and moccasins it really seems to keep the wet out.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Found this on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAHx0KBpT4

Beeswax, linseed oil, turpentine heated and mixed, allowed to cool to a paste, then rubbed into whatever you want to waterproof and heat applied. I think I also remember reading in one of the first two Books of Buckskinning about waterproofing a canvas fly by tacking it to a board or fence and painting on boiled linseed oil, and allowing to dry outdoors out of direct sunlight. Whatever you end up using, you might experiment first with a scrap of material and evaluate it after a couple of weeks for odor and flammability.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Some time ago I wanted to make an oil cloth to use as a ground cloth. I bought a painters tarp from the big box store. The tarp was 6x9, and fairly light, I followed the instructions in "A Pilgrims Journey". I wound up with a tarp so heavy I doubt I could have carried it when I was in my 20's. I don't know what I did wrong, but I wound up with a tarp to keep the weather off of my tractor.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
How fire proof do you want it? 'Cause if you make it in a period-correct or historic manner...you will need to avoid sparks landing on it.

Take boiled linseed oil, and mix it 50/50 with turpentine. Your cotton, fustian, or linen frock should've been washed in hot water and dried in hot air to tighten the weave, but if it's too small to risk shrinkage, it will probably still work. Hang it up outside in the shade, and paint it with the 50/50 mix. Allow it to cure for at least two weeks. It may remain "tacky" to the touch in hot weather, but usually cutting the BLO with turpentine helps it dry better. Some folks also will turn it inside out and paint the inside of the cloth too. Wait another two weeks to dry...This is an outside project as it stinks like a Pinesol factory blew up in your yard...not good even in an attached garage, and it needs to be in the shade as sunlight sometimes causes BLO to ignite. Eeker

So...if you want this for the Fort Frederick Market Fair...you need to start it this week....

Option two...IF you want to add pigment, go to the Big Box Home Improvement Store, and buy a quart of oil based paint in your desired color, AND buy an extra, unused paint can with a lid, as well as Boiled Linseed Oil. Pour about 1/4 of the commercial paint into the can, then add the same amount of BLO, so you now have a half-can of BLO and modern oil paint as a pigment. Stir and see if you like the color and consistency...then add more BLO until you have 3/4 of a can... check the color and the consistency. If the color is "thin" add a little more modern paint. Then paint as above.

The modern paint has chemical driers that help it cure faster, but...if you don't cut it with the BLO it gets stiff and very brittle.

Option 3...sod the BLO and oil paint...get some modern acrylic paint in your desired color, as well as the same extra paint can with a lid. Then test it straight, and with a little water, no more than 25% added, on a bit of scrap from your frock. Once dry if you like it test the water repellency and flexibility. Then if all is good, paint your frock with that. It will be much more fire resistant...will dry quicker, and your brush and you will clean up easier.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good luck on finding oil based paint at the big box store. I had to go to a regular paint stoe to get mine.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
YEAH I KNOW, RIGHT? Eeker ....I mean WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN? I went last night as I am trying to finish some modifications on a trade gun and I want a painted stock....only Rustoleum and I've tried that and it has too many driers and you can't get custom colors...so I will be going to an actual paint store too....

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I use Thompson Water Seal on my canvas teepee tent.
Stinks alittle, need to air out a bit.
Water sheds like on plastic.
Not too primitive, but worx dang good!
quote:
Originally posted by j_d:
Greetings.
I am looking for any advice on how to water proof a frock, or at least make it water resistant. I would prefer to keep it period but would take a lot at all options.
Thanks,
Josh

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
you could also use that thornproof dressing that is put onto Barbour Coats. A pain to do since you have to soften (in warm water) the can of stuff, brush or rub it in, then for best appearance, use a hair dryer to go over it, which spreads it out. That will give you a real 'oilskin' look and is very waterproof. you can get the stuff online or at any really nice tack shop. Good luck

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Look up NIKWAX. Once applied and dry, you won't even know it is there, but it will water proof cloth. If you go with BLO, be aware of the possibility of spontaneous combustion if closely confined as in packing or storing. If you can smell it, it is ignitable. It also makes for a stiff and heavy garment, whereas NIKWAX will leave it soft with no noticeable increase in weight.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you want to go the boiled linseed option you HAVE to use sodium bicarbonate to change to Ph. Linseed oil is acidic and will destroy the cloth in short order. It will tear as easy as paper. Trust me, I ruined several tarps before I found that out.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Woods loper,how much bicarb do you have to use?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ive not tried it again since I read about it. Mark Baker has a section on making oil cloth in his videos. He doesn't use bicarbonate but he boils the oil with a chunk of limestone to lower the Ph.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
AND IT STINKS WHEN BOILING Big Grin

LD