MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Period Clothing    Split front or pullover hunting frock
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Split front or pullover hunting frock
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I guess one might ask why a steel barrel is ok but not a cotton shirt? It is really just a matter of individual level of authenticity desired...no right or wrong unless incorrect claims about what is PC are made, but do continue the fight it says so much of human natures short commings.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lads - I had to laugh over this thread...three pages of opinion, personal likes and dislikes, quotes from the few sources we have, and yet more opinion. As I said in my post, this subject is darn toxic!!

My own feel on this comes out of my desire to personally experience, as much as possible, what my ancestors did - they were in Kantake as early as 1768, and were there pretty much non-stop thereafter. They hunted for hides and meat, blazed the Wilderness Trail, built Boonesborough, Boones Station, Painted Stone station, and fought to hold onto these fragile, isolated outposts.

So, based on that I have tried, and continue to, gather clothing and accouterments that are as accurate to the time period as possible. THEY wore mostly linen, so I do also. They carried a flintlock rifle, and so do I. They practiced with that gun until they could reliably hit what they wanted/needed to, and so do I.

Thus, those of you who speak badly of the "stitch counters" and " PC nazis" may well be short changing yourselves. Sure, you can order up from Townsend and look like you got your stuff at a second rate prop house, but you won't be "real" in the sense I speak of. Sure, maybe most won't notice that your shirt is machine stitched (a couple of mine are...tisk, tisk), but you will.

If we look HARD at each and every item we have in our kit, be critical, and try as best we can to slowly and deliberately weed out that which does not meet this standard you will one day find that you are really "living it", which seems the only thing worth trying for.

I recently had a great checked blue LINEN pull over shirt made for me by Vincent Spioti, at Bethelehem Trading Post. Great folks, very reasonable prices, and top notch workmanship. Heck, my linen shirt cost LESS than a modern shirt from Macys! In that case I got the material for him from Burnley & Trowbridge at a fair price (forget just how much).

Now, don't get all huffy at that "stitch natzi" fella...I am speaking for MYSELF ONLY and not for you, or anyone you know.

But TO ME this satisfies what I want to achieve and that is what counts....

Be the best you can be, it is always gratifying.

Just sayin'

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Thanks Col Boone. Well spoken, I totaly agree with YOU!

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I agree with Col Boone,the game I hunt doesn't give a hill of beans if I am PC or not. That's one of the main reasons I avoid these arguments.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thus, those of you who speak badly of the "stitch counters" and " PC nazis" may well be short changing yourselves.

The criticism of the "stitch counters" and "PC Nazi's" is not because of their dedication to what they view as important personal details..., it's a reaction to their criticism of others for not reaching the arbitrary standard they have set for themselves. That's the key.

I know a boat-load of them, and the reason why none of them own a rifle or fusil with hand cast hardware, and hand forged barrel & lock, is they can't afford such. They say that's OK, but turn around and are verbally critical of folks who can't afford the linen canvas for a bell back tent or the time to hand sew it, with derisive remarks such as [paraphrased] "IF you were really dedicated, you'd find a way to afford it, and the time to make it" OR "It only takes a little more time and a little more money". They tend to be singles or DINKs, and don't think they have a double standard.

On the other hand I also know a boat-load of folks who are very much into mastering the centuries old material arts, and the way they go about it when working with others not so well versed is they simply "do" and allow folks like me to see this, and ask questions and learn... without the condescending comments.

(Single = unmarried without any dependents. DINKs = D ual I ncome ; No K ids)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Loyal Dave - Agree entirely and am deeply vexed when some self-appointed "expert" tells me this or that as "fact" when upon close examination it turns out to be no more than their opinion.

"Do what you got to do just don't do it to me!"

I think that we all have to deal with some level of "practical reality"...what, exactly, can we accomplish with the means at hand? Sometimes it is not what we would hope, sometimes more..but that consideration is always there.

As I said, my focus is to satisfy myself and my own vision of what is "correct" for the time and place I am depicting. I did not have to choose it, I was born to it - my heritage defines that and I cannot say I am disappointed - it sure feels "right".

I can agree with LD in that I feel that criticism of others does nothing to further this endeavor - encouragement is what is called for.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
LD - Thanks for your post. I think it is the most thoughtful and well stated comment in this thread.

"To each his own, as best he can"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post