MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Period Clothing    Split front or pullover hunting frock
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Split front or pullover hunting frock
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how the pirate I saw at an event got marooned in middle Tennessee 100 years later than the age of piracy ??????

hahahaha Big Grin

Yes I often wonder why, when the Renaissance was over, and the Age of Enlightenment had begun by 1650..., and the Age of Piracy runs from 1650-1730..., why there are "Pirate Weekends" at Ren Fairs..., but I then remember it's about entertainment and money, and not about history, at those venues. Big Grin OH well they are fun...,

Back to the topic, it may be very difficult to say what folks would wear away from their occupation..., Doddridge points out:
"In the latter years of the Indian war the young men became more enamored of the Indian dress throughout with the exception of the matchcoat. The drawers were laid aside and the leggins made longer so as to reach the upper thigh. The Indian breech clout was adopted."[In addition to the hunting shirt] "The young warrior instead of being abashed by this nudity was proud of his Indian like dress. In some few instances I have seen them go into places of worship in this dress. Their appearance, however, did not add much to the devotion of the young ladies."

On the other hand when Christopher Gist, a close friend of George Washington, having once saved Washington's life, returned to the Continental Army encampment with vital news, Washington's aids made Gist change out of Indian dress before they allowed him to see and speak to the general.

Then you have artwork, for example, from (iirc) 1820 that shows several males, all of which are in shirts and trousers, except for the much older man in breeches and stockings.

Who you were by occupation, where you awere by geography, your culture, your economic status, and the reason for the gathering (monthly muster or recent defensive alarm), your age, and your personality, would impact what you wore.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I think for what I want, the caped, split front frock is what I'll get. I'm looking at one from One Blanket trading- anyone have any experience with this dealer?

Deo Vindice!

Posts: 37 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slikrickabn:
I think for what I want, the caped, split front frock is what I'll get. I'm looking at one from One Blanket trading- anyone have any experience with this dealer?

Actually, a friend just got a shirt from One Blanket that he is quite pleased with. I looked at the hunting frock that O.B. trading offers and if it's a medium to heavy canvas being used then I think it's a pretty good deal.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mine came from Bell traders but sadly Dave is closed for now. A shame to as they really did good work. I looked at JAS Townsend but their linen was not the weight I wanted.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Cotton canvas hunting shirts are great, just like stainless steel tomahawks, Aluminum kettles, plastic ground sheets and uncovered coolers in cotton canvas sunforger fire retardant treated tents that weigh as much as 5 tents from the period......

The one for sure we know is Rev War hunting shirt is made from almost handkerchief weight linen. Thats how you can get 80 some pleates per sleeve, and well you have to to do that to give the sleeve some body.

Its a Hunting SHIRT, not a carhart barn jacket......

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Montour:
Cotton canvas hunting shirts are great, just like stainless steel tomahawks, Aluminum kettles, plastic ground sheets and uncovered coolers in cotton canvas sunforger fire retardant treated tents that weigh as much as 5 tents from the period...... The one for sure we know is Rev War hunting shirt is made from almost handkerchief weight linen. Thats how you can get 80 some pleates per sleeve, and well you have to to do that to give the sleeve some body. Its a Hunting SHIRT, not a carhart barn jacket......

Not everyone can afford a linen hunting frock/shirt, nor can everyone afford to frequently replace handkerchief thin outer garments as they wear out. I think if the original post had presented a picture of a stainless steel hawk, aluminum pot or plastic tarp and had asked "How does this look? or What do you think about this?" the membership here would have been honest and set him straight. The fact is that a linen is expensive because it isn't used nearly as much in this day and age, just the opposite with cotton fabric.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bull3540:
quote:
Cotton canvas hunting shirts are great, just like stainless steel tomahawks, Aluminum kettles, plastic ground sheets and uncovered coolers in cotton canvas sunforger fire retardant treated tents that weigh as much as 5 tents from the period...... The one for sure we know is Rev War hunting shirt is made from almost handkerchief weight linen. Thats how you can get 80 some pleates per sleeve, and well you have to to do that to give the sleeve some body. Its a Hunting SHIRT, not a carhart barn jacket......

Not everyone can afford a linen hunting frock/shirt, nor can everyone afford to frequently replace handkerchief thin outer garments as they wear out. I think if the original post had presented a picture of a stainless steel hawk, aluminum pot or plastic tarp and had asked "How does this look? or What do you think about this?" the membership here would have been honest and set him straight. The fact is that a linen is expensive because it isn't used nearly as much in this day and age, just the opposite with cotton fabric.

I buy linen for around 6 to 12 bucks a yard. What does Carhart cloth go for?

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bull3540:
quote:

I buy linen for around 6 to 12 bucks a yard. What does Carhart cloth go for?

Well, here you go, linen here ranges from $11.50 for a linen/cotton mix, but that just won't do right? It's got to be 100% linen or nothing right? So you could go with your favored handkerchief linen for $13.00 per yard all the way up to $30; http://www.wmboothdraper.com/
And here's some evil cotton canvas and related material ranging from $1.11 a yard to $6.99; http://www.hancockfabrics.com/...539203VVviewprod.htm Now let's see, if a large sized shirt requires 3 yards of fabric and the hunting frock that slikrickabn said he liked, which was $50 (http://www.oneblanket.com/Frock-Coat-Shirt_c8.htm) for either the pullover or open front, I think that is a good deal. But of course, if the thread counters get a close look at him wearing it, he is going to be tossed from the rendezvous event, right? Here is the Carthart Barn coat that you compare to a hunting frock made from canvas; http://www.sierratradingpost.c...8~great-barn-jacket/ I don't think they look the same, but maybe my eyes deceive me. So here are a few LINEN frocks that I found;
http://jas-townsend.com/produc....php?products_id=485 $140 bucks, plus shipping.
Oh, here is a KIT using REAL linen from Crazy Cow, it's only $99, plus shipping and all assembly is required; http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=752-100-000
Oh, here's a genuine linen frock for only $125; http://www.jedediah-starr.com/...98&pid=1390&offset=0
And you can always bid on one from e-bay, starting at $109 and then pay handling as well as the outrageous shipping fees they tack on; http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIFLEM...CTMENT-/170891756490
Sorry Rick, you can't play the game because you're not will to shell out the money for 100%, period correct and authentic clothing that is hand stitched and inspected by the thread counters. Oh, and unless you are willing to pay for a tomahawk that is handforged out of wrought iron with an equally period correct steel edge, hand forged onto the rest of it, then you can't play with us. The same thing goes if you want to have a dry place to sleep, as that machine stitched, cotton canvas that have been made water resistant and mildew proofed is verboten; only hand stitched hemp canvas $24 a yard (http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/Hemproducts.html) is allowed. You might as well sleep under a Carthart Barn coat, Montour says you can't play with everyone else.

Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
Retail is for suckers!

http://www.fabrics-store.com/f...&menu=f&fabric_id=14

While this is not the only place I get my linen from, I do jump on this, and when its on sale its even less than the 6.91 that its selling for now......

As for the rest of your rant, well I award you no points, may the Creator have mercy on your soul.......

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slikrickabn:
Which is the more correct for a longhunter impression- the pullover or split front hunting frock? Any recommendations on where I can get one? Thanks slik

I found another source for an open work shirt but it doesn't have a cape. There are color and fabric choices though; http://shop.ghost-forge.com/Shirt-Work-M183.htm

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
if your not a stich nazi try smoke and fire jas townsend and a good source for links is coon and crockett

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
GEnts - Lots of thrashing about here to no avail... For fabric contact Burnley & Trowbridge, who have a vast array of fabrics at reasonable prices - all are historically correct. If you got questions they are great folk to work with.
For pre-made, historically correct hunting shirts contact Ft Downing Trading Co, who offer a pure linen hunting shirt for $70. You cannot go wrong with the folk at Ft Downing.

Forget the blends, canvas, etc, etc...the shirt should be LINEN, and that is that.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you are not going to use the right cloth then why even bother? It is a one time purchase and the difference is less than what it costs to drive to most events now days. It is astounding that people will spend the money for a good gun and then try to cut corners on the other stuff. If you don't want to do the re-enactment thing, then fine, but if you are going to do it, then do it right.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
If one is wanting to be historical, then the most proper fabrics to use seem to be light to medium weight linen of plain weave (the existing presumed 18th century hunting shirts are relatively light weight, I have been told), about normal shirt weight. Most, if not all, period references I have seen refer to "Oznabrigs/Osnaburg" as the fabric used (or a similar plain linen... with the rare exceptions for linsey-woolsey). Do not confuse real Osnaburg linen for the CHEAP, lousy, super loosely spun and woven cotton "osnaburg" commonly sold, which is no good for anything.

If one is not interested in historical accuracy, or to make a "practice" garment from cheaper cloth, a plain cotton cloth would, of course, be fine for that. Wink

Oh, the hunting shirt in my avatar I bought at Friendship years ago and is made of what is usually called "Fustian": linen one way and cotton the other. It's my interim hunting shirt until I get around to making up "the real thing". Wink

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Appreciated !
Selection of shirts rather depends upon the cloth material in which you feel comfortable. I would prefer to put on cotton shirts.

manuka honey for health issues.

Posts: 1 | Location: 2055 Pines Rd, Somerville, AL 35670 | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
I'd rather wear goretex and polar tech fleece. So is that an acceptable option?

Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Montour, you remind me a lot of a dog I had once. Once he got his teeth into a bone, he wouldn't let go for nothin'.

FYI: Not all of us attend juried events where our very presence is judged by stitch counters or the PC police. Some of us are in the hobby just for fun. So lighten up a little, OK?

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim:
Montour, you remind me a lot of a dog I had once. Once he got his teeth into a bone, he wouldn't let go for nothin'.

FYI: Not all of us attend juried events where our very presence is judged by stitch counters or the PC police. Some of us are in the hobby just for fun. So lighten up a little, OK?

It always starts this way, "I just want to have fun" at a rendevous, then someone attends a trade fair, then they end up at a reenactment......

If a person gets a good hunting shirt, made of the proper materials, even if its machine sewn, it will do good service in all the combined hobbies, and even allow someone to actually have fun, and not complain about stich natzies and the PC police on the internet....

Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Montour, thanks for proving my point.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I've got some shirts for sale. Open front linen, or cotton calicos in red, green, blue, brown, all sizes. Email me with your size if you would like pictures.

Moon

Posts: 3 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 11 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post