New
Find
Notify
Tools

XXXXL BUCKSKIN SHIRT PATTERN
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Can anyone tell me where I can get a easy to follow XXXXL buckskin shirt pattern, any help will be very appreciated.

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well the best way (imho) of you are talking pull-over shirt, as opposed to a buckskin coat, is to simply get a copy of Beth Gilgun's Tidings of The 18th Century. The 18th century shirt went unchanged up till about the War of 1812, then men's shirts began to see some modifications. In Beth's book are instructions for making a man's shirt.

So what you do is follow Beth's instructions, but increase the size of the parts, for it's all made of squares and rectangles. ONLY before you cut leather, what you do is buy the cheapest poly/cotton fabric, and make a cloth "test shirt" based on your increases in the size of the parts. Use the widest stitch on the sewing machine, and if the shirt fits you then cut the stitches and use the shirt parts as your pattern. If it doesn't fit, try it again with bigger pieces.

The only other change is that the collar uses two squares folded into triangles to help form it, and you'd merely cut leather triangles to that dimension.

That will get you a shirt pattern custom made for you. Now as to embellishments on the buckskin shirt, you can add fringe by sewing a small piece of leather into whatever seams you think should have finge. After the shirt is done you'd then clip the piece of leather at the seams to make it into fringe.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
thanks LD i will give this a try

Posts: 86 | Location: North central Alabama, Limestone County, Athens | Registered: 09 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Have you got it, or still looking for advice?

Posts: 1 | Location: 1952 N Glenhome Dr, Memphis, TN 38134 | Registered: 31 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
No i have not do you any advise, thanks

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Try googling xxxxl shirt pattern or call Jo-ann fabric. They probably carry patterns in that size. If not they can tell you how much larger to make a xxl pattern.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember something about adding 5/8" all around the pattern for each size increase. So if you start with a XXL pattern and want to go to a 4XL you should add 1 1/4" ( 2 X 5/8")all around the pattern.

This would increase the circumference by five inches. That should be enough, eh?

But its been a while since I thought about it. Perhaps one of the tailors or seamstresses could jump in here.

Posts: 22 | Location: NW Georgia | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Big D, did you find a pattern? I'm in need of the same!!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
One of the Book of Buckskinning issues has patterns for buckskin clothing.I will check to see which one.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir! I'm looking for a Frock pattern myself!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
My wife is a professional seamiest When making my shirts she makes them out of cloth first and then after making sure they fit me uses that shirt as a pattern for the buckskin. Saves messing up your buckskin.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
FWIW - no matter what pattern you use be sure and pre-stretch your hides before cutting them...

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,one good Winter Layover,plenty of fat meat,lots of good beer,I might need the 'skins to stretch....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post