Find
Notify
Tools

Trade Cloth Dress
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted
Thought I would share pictures of a dress I finished for a friend last night.

The dress is made to represent a Northern Plains trade cloth dress from the late 1830's/early 1840's. It is made from navy blue wool broadcloth. The wool was purchased from William Draper Booth. It was woven in England to specific standards and has the same appearance, drape, weave, milling, and finish as broadcloth made in the early 19th century. The yoke is made from a lighter weight red broadcloth and is trimmed in white size 8/0 beads. The neck opening is trimmed in brain tanned deer hide. The sleeves and bottom are trimmed with white silk ribbon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beaver Hunter,

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
A simple belt to go with the dress. It is made from brain tanned deer hide.

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
A pair of brain tanned leggings. They are simple tubes that tie below the knee.

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
A pair of side seam moccasins with liners.

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
A wool blanket or buffalo robe was the traditional cold weather clothing for women.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Very nice work, thanks for posting, very nice. Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking wardrobe for the Lady.

Where could a person get the pattern for that style of moccasins. I have been thinking about making a pair, but have not seen one in that style.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
LeeRoy,

I made the pattern myself. They are very easy to make. Here is a link to a website with directions:

http://womenofthefurtrade.com/page11.html

I also recommend the book: Craft Manual of North American Indian Footwear by George White. It also has directions for making side seam moccasins.

Thanks!

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Beaver Hunter

Thanks for the fast reply.

I will save that link for when I start to make my moccasins.

If anyone else has a pattern for high top moccasins I would enjoy seeing them.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm ordering wool from Draper later today. I'm friends with one of the ladies from WFT.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice work Beaver Hunter, thank you for sharing the pictures.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
very nice work

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Very nice. You got some skill there. Thanks for the link on side seams. I'm wearing a pair of center seams which weren't documented in the far west.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Idaho Mountaineer, The Delaware wear center seamed moccasins. They, along with a couple other tribes, were taking frequent trips to Colorado and Santa Fe. Not sure if any trappers were wearing them though.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
What Pare said and the Delaware aren't the only ones - lots of Iroqouis and Shawneee out west durint eh RMFT era.
As for a pic of a Delaware mountaineer wearing center seams look up a pic of Black Beaver who scouted for Fremont as well.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. Just finished the toe bag to go along with the outfit.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about such things, but can recognize skill when I see it that's some nice looking work there.

Can you elaborate on the "Toe Bag"...what it's used for and specifically, what was used for the "toes" ?

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
The bag is made from the back of a deer's lower leg/foot. The foot is skinned out and the dew claws are left intact. Two deer feet are sewn together to make the front of the bag.

The bag will be used to carry fire fixing or other small tools.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Dew claws are exactly what came to mind but didn't know if it might have been something artificial...neat looking bag for sure...excellent craftsmanship !!

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Yep, very nice! You really have a handle on things, Beaver Hunter. I'm very impressed. I would say that's worthy of a museum exhibit. I seen a bag just the other day made from an albino deer with pink-looking hooves and claws. Pretty interesting.

Pare-