Notify
Tools

Trade Cloth Dress
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of that reproduction bag and the link that its being sold at.

http://longrifle.com/forsale/d...t.asp?categoryID=all

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
What are you bsing your pattern on...like tribe and where did you get the pattern?

Posts: 12 | Location: Jacksonville, Fl | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Tipis,

Sorry I did not see your post earlier. I based the dress off of the Nez Perce pattern shown in the book: 19th Century Plains Indian Dresses by Susan Jennys. I wanted something that would be appropriate for the late 1830's or early 1840's and made from materials traded at Rendezvous or a fur post. The fully developed sleeve Crow dresses are more 1850's. I wanted something simple that would represent a transition from hide to cloth dresses. It is a very basic pattern: A large rectangle piece for the front and another for the back. Then triangle side gussets and the tapered wings/sleeves. The sleeves are not sewn on the bottom, so they hang open and drape like the hide dresses.

Check out the Women of the Fur Trade website for some more excellent interpretations of trade cloth dresses.

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post