New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Size Blanket for Capote
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I'm getting ready to start working on a capote but haven't been able to find out what size blanket I will need to make sure I have enough material. I'm a stout fellow (read XXL size 52 chest) so will I need a 6 point blanket or should I go all the way up to an 8 point? I don't want to get started only to find I don't have a big enough blanket to fit my fat body.

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 18 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Book of Buckskinning Vol 2 says "a full blanket capote is made from a four point blanket. This will suffice for all but the very largest of human beings. Most Kodiaks and grizzlies take 6 pointers." They don't say anything about 8 point blankets ever being needed.

If you're working from a 'store bought' pattern, there ought to be guidance in the pattern about how much blanket you need. You could use an old bedsheet the size of a 6 point blanket and lay out the pieces first as a trial run, before committing a blanket. Or, you could start with an 8 point blanket knowing that the extra material will go for rifle cases, mittens, leggings, etc.

Good luck. SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help SCL. This Papa Bear just picked up a nice six point blanket on evil bay for decent price. Can't wait to start work on it. DD

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 18 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple links. NW Traders has some really great blankets. I own one of their Ingenious blankets.

http://www.nwtrader.com/capotes_styles.html

I made mine from a blanket and about a third of another, that I bought from Turkey Foot Forge for $25 each. Its a thick, heavy blanket; weighing 5+ lbs.

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html

I would suggest that you look through some of the capote topics on here and check out the pictures posted by Beaver Hunter, Bradley Bailey and Buffler. They have what was typically worn during the Fur Trade. I tried posting mine here, but it was too large.

Good luck on your project!

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post