Find
Notify
Tools

Blankets
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted
How do the wool blankets from North West Traders compare to say a Whitney or a Hudson Bay? I like their prices, and they look pretty good. I just wanted to see if anyone has had some experience with them...

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
I own two Northwest Trader's blankets and they are great! I also own a Hudson's Bay blanket and I would take the Northwest Trader's blanket any day. It is thicker, which provides more room to trap air and gives better insulation. I am sure everyone will provide pros and cons for each brand of blanket, but you cannot go wrong with a Northwest Trader's blanket!

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Which blankets of theirs do you have BeaverHunter?

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a matching pair of the hand-woven "classic" blankets. They are both white with a natural dark bar on each end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beaver Hunter,

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Beaver, That's a better picture than what Northwest Traders show on their website. Good doin's too! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes that's good to know as Wilde Weavery isn't doing any blankets these days.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
On the Northwest Traders website the "Classic" blankets that are white have a brown bar instead of a black bar that Beaver Hunter posted pics of.At least that is the color they describe in there description.I like the white with the black bar better.They also used to sell Hudson Bay and Whitney blankets,none that I can find are listed in there website.Are Whitney blankets still being made?Thanks.

Posts: 38 | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Prairieofthedog,

Mine is the white with natural brown bar that they list. It is a very dark brown and looks almost black, as shown in my picture. I hope that helps.

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are Whitney blankets still being made?

Ofthedog, The mills in Witney (with no 'h') closed about 10 years ago. That is why Northwest Traders and others had to look for other weavers. New blankets are being advertised for HBC blankets and I don't know who they are contacting with these days. Early's of Witney was one of the most famous blanket makers and I, for at least one, was rather saddened to see them go. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Mike i understand they had a big mill fire and they lost all of their equipment don't quote me but i hear it through the smoke signals about 3 years ago

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Rob Stone makes a nice blanket. I bought one blanket and after fulling it, I found out that it had a cotton warp. The threads were showing through the wool. Pretty disappointed in that one...

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters but what time period do the north west blankets cover?

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Benny, Northwest Traders has blankets of several styles that sometimes cover different ranges in years. Look at their website for more info. http://www.nwtrader.com/. Also look at http://www.pointblankets.com/index.html for historical notes about point blankets. Shoot sharp, Mike

Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard about a fire at the Witney mills, but I did hear just a few years ago (I didn't think it was 10, but time flies when you're as old as I am!) they were choosing to shut down. Sad news. Although I think the NW Traders blankets may be as good.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Very nice blankets, but I purchase all my own hand sheared, hand spun and hand dyed wool. I then knit all our blankets. Nothing beats them, and the joy of finishing one is celebrated by us all (takes a bit). Funny thing is that our dogs fight us for them they make nests out of them or lay on top in the sun sleeping like the dead. My wife sews and I knit so its a good combination. Hope you all try it out.

Posts: 85 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 06 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Muck, Will you be at the PPR? I'd like to see your blankets. Shoot sharp, Mike

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I bought a Northwest blanket and tried using it that first night. Lasted five minutes, but its great for cold weather camping!

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scarhand:
I bought a Northwest blanket and tried using it that first night. Lasted five minutes, but its great for cold weather camping!

I don't get it--were you too hot, or what?

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
going to try and post a pic of my latest blanket keep your fingers crossed

Posts: 85 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 06 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
started to sweat to hot!

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post