New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fleece vests n coats
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I know sheep were shorn for the wool n to make a few coin. But anybody have any info on sheep hides with fleece on being used for cold weather wear? Like vests or coats etc. I cobbled a crude sheep skin vest years back n its super warm, oil up the skin side n it turns rain n mist as well. Never read of it being used in colonial or mountain man times.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
never seen any representations of one, but one might easily imagine folks using the occasional (what was it someone called sheep.... field maggots hehe) sheep skin with fleece for a vest or at least a lining to a coat or maybe cobbled together as a spare blanket or maybe a ground cover (if anyone had such an extravagant possession as a spare blanket or a fleece ground cover).

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think it was one of those things that was so common that no one bothered to mention.It was certainly never the height of fashion.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1452 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post