New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shaved Faces or Beards?
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I'm retiring in a couple of months from a relatively beard free job, so one will be starting the next day. the pony tail might cause "some" marital grief, though. we'll see.

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Marital grief is just one of those things that crop up occasionally, in spite of our best intentions. It might as well be for something you want, no use trying to duck it.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Amen,but in my case,sofar,I've been able to work out compromises and exchanges to get what I want.Course,she made the mistake of telling me she wanted me to have hobbies,to keep me happy.I try not to push it too far.. Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
My wife would kill me if I got rid of my beard and she says the ponytail has grown on her.
As a side note I'm noticing that ponytails are making a comeback, especially among middle aged people. Even some young kids are getting away from the super short hair fad ( though not many wear ponytails).

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
If you can picture Bozo The Clown with a ponytail,that's what I would look like.....
No thanks.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Eeker Aw come on Boartooth,give it a shot! Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
When me & my bride to be first met,I was living in a tee-pee lodge way out in the woods,trapping,hunting,bathing in the stream,she has never in 39 years seen me without a beard or ponytail,when I came out of the woods to make a home for us,ran into a few snags,but never gave in to the wishes of the tie-wearing populous.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Good for you Mike!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is a cool story, Mike.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I actually have a practical reason to keep my hair short,besides pure laziness.I am a mechanic.This means that I'm bent over in,and on,under and beside moving machinery every day.I just don't like thinking about a stray lock of hair wandering into a fan belt,etc...Maybe after I retire I'll give it a try.I wasn't joking about Bozo either,my hair is very thick,and massively curly*ook*.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim:
Statements like "Mountain Men were clean shaven (or wore beards, or had long hair) is kind of like saying "Taxidermists have sideburns". Some do - some don't. Everyone makes individual choices.

Taxidermists don't have sideburns???? Confused Confused Confused

Who knew??????

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I use to have long hair and a full beard but that was some years back. I cut it off and my wife WILL NOT allow me to grow it back! Mad

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I started growing my beard back,and my wife gave her approval,so I'm clear *whew*.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have an agreement. She can tell me how I should keep my hair and beard but I get to do the same for her hair. Been married 25 years and it has worked so far...

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies everybody. As for me I keep the Eric Church scruff beard. Pretty short. You don't have to shave all week, just clean up for church.

My main question about the mountain men beards was really a half loaded question. I have read much about "documentation," "thread counters," "accuracy" and the like. I realize what you use on your own land and hunts varies according to your desires and likes. (The current issue of "The Backwoodsman" features a review of a Chinese coach gun for drats sake!) As a greenhorn in this field, I am sorta wondering where the boundaries are sometimes. I have read articles about how tapered the tang was on a green river knife, and how no one makes a correct one today. (Insert tilted, confused puppy dog face here.) Beards/hair seems to be an important part of "the look." I would uneducatedly imagine that mountain men looked fairly similar, tho different in many, many ways. I wonder if they ALL used a tapered tang green river with perfectly aged blade and hand worn period correct handle? Maybe we should just throw the "thread counters" into the river and go shoot some stuff with our clean/scruffy/long flowing beards and/or bald heads/ponytails?

Who (besides your lady) is going to tell a mountain man what to do with his face right?

Thanks again everybody, and have fun this winter!

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Patrick,I tend to agree with you,but then I'm not a purist,so I'd prolly better keep my face shut....

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, when we were first married, my wife said she didn't like my mustache, to shave it off. I did, she took one look and said "put it back." Took a few days, but I did. Have kept it ever since, added a goatee a few years ago and she never complained. graybeafrd

Posts: 31 | Location: west michigan | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I shaved my beard off for the first time since she'd known me a year or so ago....After trying to get used to it,she told me I could grow it back....Big Grin

Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnmike:
Here's something to think about. Big Grin

"LOL" I like it.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
You will NOT find me at the Hair-Care isle at Walmart:

And that photo was four years ago.
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post