Notify
Tools

Jaeger Flintlock
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of Sgt 73rd Regt.
posted
G'day All,

I am new to this forum, but not to muzzle-loading having caught the bug back in the 1980's.

I am hoping someone can help me, I have a custom made .61 cal Jaeger rifle and I am trying to identify the maker of the lock. Unfortunately my friend from New Zealand who made the rifle for me passed away some years ago so I cannot ask hem. I have attached a photo of the lock, the only markings on it is a D in a circle stamped on the back of the lock, just above the mainspring. I did not take a photo of the back as it is quite hard to see.

I would be most grateful for any help.
Cheers

Jaeger Lock

Posts: 3 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 December 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It appears to be an R.E. Davis jaeger lock from what I can tell. I'm often wrong but the Davis jaeger lock looks very much like your lock. It might be a custom lock. If so, I'm at a loss.

And welcome to the campfire, Sgt 73rd Regt.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Hanshi!, I know that it is not a custom lock and I know that my mate in NZ liked R.E. Davis locks. Just wanted to lay in a spare frizzen and frizzen spring, just in case.

Cheers

Posts: 3 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 December 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya! Hanshi & Sgt!

You are correct, Hanshi, that is a Davis lock. His id touch mark is a D inside of a circle, so getting the spare parts should be no problem. You can go to his web page and send them a message with photo's of both sides of the lock and an order for the parts wanted.

Hope this helps!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Crossfox & Hanshi for your help, I have been to the RE Davis website to drool over their locks!

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Curious why you would need a spare frizzen and mainspring. Been shooting blackpowder for 45+ years. Never needed them.These are good locks.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post