MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Parts for OLD repro of Colt's 1849 Pocket
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parts for OLD repro of Colt's 1849 Pocket
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I am trying to rehabilitate an inexpensive .31 pocket pistol. It is not an accurate repro - the main frame/receiver is brass. The only markings other than the Italian proof/inspection marks I can find is "FIE" stamped on the top barrel flat. I believe this means "Firearm Import - Export" out of Miami, FL. In my experience FIE had less expensive/less well finished pieces.

Does anyone have any ideas on who actually made the gun? I have a Palmetto Arms .31 Sold by Dixie Gun Works, and another made by Armi San Marco. Neither of these guns match up well in dimension with the FIE, save the cylinder from the Armi San Marco will interchange with the FIE cylinder.

The wedge that came with the pistol isn't wide enough - there is a little too much slop for me between the frame and the barrel. I wanted to try a replacement wedge before I tried peening the edge of the slot in the base pin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Location: Brunswick County, NC | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Howdy Tom,
HAve you tried S&S Firearms? they have a 1849 Pocket model wedge for $25.00
I have also used a wedge that was bigger and filed the wedge to fit when making that repair.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andy*:
Howdy Tom,
Have you tried S&S Firearms? they have a 1849 Pocket model wedge for $25.00
I have also used a wedge that was bigger and filed the wedge to fit when making that repair.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I can find some limited parts for Armi san Marco pistols and many sources for Uberti parts, I just don't know which will work better - I suspect Uberti. I may have to get a 1851/1860 or 1862 wedge and file and fit. Thanks.

Posts: 6 | Location: Brunswick County, NC | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Why not try VTI GUNPARTS? The FIE guns may be made by Pietta.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
David, I cannot make sense of what is published online about some gun parts. One source states that Pietta used a certain size nipple, or properly cone, in their revolvers which was different from the dimensions given for Uberti cones. the cones in the pistol now seem to be the size described of Uberti - provided my thread pitch gauge and calipers are "calibrated". Having said that it seems that Uberti only made reproductions of guns that actually existed in the 19th Century. Others made the bass-framed Colt 1849 and 1860 models, brass-framed Remington Army and Navy copies, the Colt "copies" with 1860 model frames mated to .44 barrels with full-octagon barrel assemblies. etc., etc., etc.. I will look on the VTI site for Pietta parts to see what might fit. Thanks.

Factor
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. Smiler

I know that Pietta was and is still very big in the brass framed revolvers. I have three brass framed "Confederate Navy .44's" from them...so I think you may find what you need.

As for a wedge...I'd suggest you DON'T PEEN the gun or a part. I suggest you go to the hardware store and buy a thick, all brass "4" from the house address number display, and using a hacksaw and some files, fashion a wedge to use when shooting, and keep the original wedge and gun intact. The rest of the brass you can save to make a couple of knife hilts, or another wedge if the one you make wears out.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have some thick brass left from another project. I may have just what I need. Thanks for the idea.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom MacD:
I have some thick brass left from another project. I may have just what I need. Thanks for the idea.

Best approach, IMHO. Comes a time when those inexpensive imports become good paperweights or wall hangers.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I would buy any online wedge for an 1849 and hope it needs fitting.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post