Find
Notify
Tools

Stiff Sear Spring
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted
Howdy folks. I have a Euroarms of America Pedersoli stamp on side so I’m guessing this was just after the buyout, 50 cal. and serial number 020609 that I have just acquired. Not sure of the moddle but it's a Plains style gun.

The trigger was very rough and hard to pull. I don’t have a trigger gauge but it was HARD. I took the lock apart smoothed out all the forging marks on the sear and tumbler then put them on my buffing wheel and put a high gloss finish on them.

Now, the action is quit smooth but the heavy sear spring still makes the trigger really hard to pull. As hard as any I have ever had. About twice as stiff as a Siler.

Does anyone know of a “fix” or a lighter replacement sear spring?

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
V springs are best reduced in strength by filing a bevel along one side of the arm not having the screw hole. Be very careful if you decide to grind said bevel not to over heat and loose temper.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Really good idea! Thanks

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Remember to quinch it in water frequently to keep it cool. Also if you round over the edge of the spring making contact with the sear, this will reduce the amount of friction, too.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Actually i was able to use a small file so heat was not a problem and i sanded and buffed the edges

Iche Iia

Factor
posted Hide Post
So how did it turn out?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Just an update on the trigger deal. After buying the proper stones to hone the sear and tumbler I discovered that, that was my main problem. I had tried to do the job with a small file wrapped in 600 grit sand paper. It worked to a degree but using the right tool made all the difference in the world in getting the angles right. Now the pull is a lot softer and crisper, just the way I wanted it.

So, an FYI, don’t go cheap, buy the right tool for the job!

Iche Iia