New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEDDING
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hi guys. I have a ??? First off im new to these rifles.Do we bed these rifles yes no ??.With all the takeing barrals out of the stocks to clean. Does it change the way the rifle shoots?Am I over thinking this?

Posts: 34 | Registered: 24 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a bedded muzzleloader, however I have not handled the number of rifles some on here have, but do not think it necessary at all. Only guns with hook breach is the barrel removed for any real reason like cleaning, pinned barrels will eventually wear the pin holes with constant removal. Accuracy is not an issue as shooting is usually well within 100 yards (at least in my case) regarding the removal and re-installation of the hooked breach barrels.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
I bedded the tang and breech plug of my renegade but only because I had removed a bit too much wood in that area. When I have bedded bolt action rifles it was the action only and free floated the barrel. Since the ML's barrels are pinned or wedge keyed to the stock I'm not sure it would accomplish much.

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I like to put a touch of bedding compound at the breech to ensure a perfet fit and to seal the end grain in this area. If you look at old guns many are both oil stained and/or cracked in this area.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
All the serious shooters in my muzzle loading club have glass bedded their barrels and they never remove the barrel from the stock to clean it.

Remove the lock and triggers but never the barrel.

Posts: 51 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
When I build my guns I always acra gel the breach end. Is it a have too? I would say no but its no trouble and does'nt show and I dont figure it can hurt so I do it.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I wonder about glass bedding a flintlock barrel, swamped or not, but especially one that is straight sided. We glass bedded the actions on our bolt action rifles, but free floated the barrels, yet that was on modern rifles that were expected to fire several rounds in a short period of time compared to muzzleloaders. I wonder if there is the barrel whip in a straight sided barrel from the relatively slow moving patched round ball (compared to say a 7.62 Nato round or whatever they use these days). I suppose it is different when firing CW rifled muskets in rapid fire rather than shooting a flinter, but perhaps I am incorrect. I have, as others mentioned, used bedding to repair or correct mistakes in the stock to barrel fit at the breech.

On further thought perhaps the bedding of a full length stock prevents odd places from swelling as it prevents moisture from contacting the surface that touches the barrel. Still with the thickness of most of the target rifles that I have seen..., I would wonder if such pressure from moisture in the stock would cause a variance.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Basically you have 2 applications for barrels , Bedded or free floating .
a some folks will bed the breech end on a muzzleloader . this is a good idea if your inlet is less the desirable . If you don’t then over time the recoil can force the barrel back and thus you end up with bent pins or worse a cracked stock / Damaged wrist area

For the most part a muzzle loading barrel is beaded by the process of inletting it . IE the barrel is in contact with the stock for the length of the stock . a lot of times when you see a fully glass bedded muzzleloader , its something a person is using for compassion type shooting . The reason for this is because muzzle loading barrels still produce barrel harmonics. The more consistent those harmonics flow down the barrel , the less they effect the accuracy of the gun itself .
The other reason some folks chose to fully glass bed a muzzle loading barrel is that wood stocks can draw . If the application has a small swamped barrel or like the squirrel rifle I just finished, the barrel is easily pulled to one side . So the barrels are sometimes bedded

The reason its often desirable to bed / pillar bed the action on center fires is because the barrels are free floating thus any play in the action , will result in barrel movement.
When it comes to the barrel , if the barrel is free floating , then the harmonics flow the same shot after shot . However if the barrel has a contact point , those harmonics change as they pass that area . So you either want full contact / fully bedded or you want no contact / free floating .

So when you hear someone say ; I had a floating job done on my rifle .
What that entailed was insuring that the barrel makes no contact with the stock at any point all the way back to where it attaches to the receiver. Again that’s a center fire application
If you hear them say ; I had my gun bedded . Then that can mean an action job as well as a full bedding of the barrel channel so that the barrel is in complete contact for the full length of the stock .

Myself I only glass bed a muzzleloader stock IF
1) it has a small thin and long barrel that subject to be easily moved
2) it’s a long range target rifle like a Tryon or Gibbs and the customer asks for it to be done

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Terrific. I am going to soon start my second stock from a blank and now I have to wonder if I have to learn how to bed or glass a stock.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I glass bedded my 54 cal Sharon Hawken's barrel and changed it from a 2" rifle to a 1 3/8" rifle at 100 yds. I shot that rifle for years, from 1974 to 1991 in competition and didn't remove the barrel even though it has a hooked breech.

In 1991 I put "Sharon" asside and started shooting a 45 cal Southern Mountain flintlock that has since earned the name, "Sweethart". Several years back I started shooting "Princess" a second 45 cal Southern Mountain flintlock.

The long rifles have pinned barrels that don't need bedding. They both shoot better than I do.

Load fast and aim slow.

Load fast and aim slow

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
tyvm guys for the info.I just didnt know about these rifles> Iv been bench rest shooting out to a mile a long time , and put togather many long guns over the years so bedding is nothing new to me or piller bedding on bench rest long guns.I gave all that up to shoot these lots more fun to hunt up close,not much fun if you can see it no matter how far you can kill it one shot, no fun in that for me anymore , and the dr wont let me bow hunt anymore so black powder it is the way to go.Cant wait to get at it soon as I get all my stuff togather and made.Working on my bag now out of a deer hide i took off the LBJ ranch bow hunting years back ,got my ball bag done I made it out of the same deers ball bag lol. Ill post pics when I get done.

Posts: 34 | Registered: 24 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post