MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mounting an underrib on a barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting an underrib on a barrel
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
What is the best way to mount a underib on a barrel. I have a chance at a flintlock that doesn't have a full underib, only a rib about 2 inches long. Looks kinda odd.

Posts: 11 | Location: Fremont, Nebraska | Registered: 15 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
You can solder it on.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
jdr,

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, but for the sake of discussion, I know of a few old half-stock rifles with wooden underribs. I specifically remember seeing one in the museum at the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe, years ago. The rib on this rifle had partially pulled loose, and you could see how it was attached. It looked as if there were tenons for pins on the bottom flat of the barrel, just as you would install for a fullstock. These were used to pin the wooden underrib to the barrel. The ramrod pipes were evidently flanged, as for a fullstock, and also mounted with pins to the wooden underrib.

If memory serves, this weapon in New Mexico had the appearance of a typical half-stock plains rifle. However, I believe wooden underribs were not uncommon on New England half-stocks, possibly even in the flintlock era.

I recall seeing an article about wooden underribs in Muzzle Blasts many years ago. The author recommended attaching these with epoxy. However, I would be inclined to use the more traditional technique if I were doing it.

As for metal underribs, Hoot Al gave you a good answer. I recall seeing some old rifles with soldered ribs. However, underribs can also be screwed on. The screw heads will need to be countersunk, and obviously, you need to not drill the mounting holes all the way through the sidewall of the barrel.

Good luck with your project!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I screwed one on last month. I used 4-40 bolts. Worked great. Remember don't drill into the barrel. File the bolts to the length you need.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A lot of ribs were rivited on.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete G:
A lot of ribs were rivited on.

I had not heard of this technique, and I'm not sure how it would work. Did the rivets go into blind holes in the bottom flat of the barrel, maybe driven into slightly undersized holes?

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I used 6p finishing nails staked into a blind hole, the other end riveted on the rib. Works well and is HC.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post