Find
Notify
Tools

lost front sight
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted
i need some help here my friends. while cleaning my 62cal rifle i discover that my front sight is missing so here is my problem when i go to order a new one how do i measure the dovetail slot and is it in inches or mm any help is apprecated

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Well, on the Track of the Wolf site, they describe front sights in terms like: "This sight is .220" high, on a 3/8" dovetail base that is.062" thick." So, I would measure how deep the dovetail is (in inches) from top of the flat to the bottom to get the dovetail thickness, and measure the fore/aft dimension of the slot at the bottom of the dovetail for the base measurement. And, of course, pick a blade height that will allow you to file it down as required. Once you get the new sight in hand, it should be just a bit too big to go into the slot, so that you can carefully file down the sight's base for a snug fit; i.e. don't go enlarging the dovetail slot in the barrel. Good luck, SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
SCLoyalist thank you for the info, a friend of mine came over this afternoon and told me just about what you said so Monday i'm calling TOTW and ordering a sight. BTW i have a dear friend who lives in Crestview just north of Fort Walton how far is that from your home, just courious

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I'm over on the east side of Panama City. Fort Walton is 70 miles west of me, and Crestview about 30 miles north of that.

One other piece of advice on the sights - they're cheap, so order two or three in case you overfile a base, or decide you want to try a taller blade. SCL.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post