MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    another mistake.... lock alignment.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

another mistake.... lock alignment.
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
so, somehow my lock alighment got off a mite. I dropped the tail of the lock. Now, it looks like the triggers will not be quite lined up as I want. Not to mention that the hammer will need to be bent a little.

Also, since I am using a larger lock (the barrel and all the parts are from a CVA mountain rifle) the tang bolt will... maybe catch the very front of the trigger plate. Would it be bad of me to drop a threaded insert (nut) in for the tang bolt to go into and use a wood screw for the trigger plate?

The red dot is where the sear bar is.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
If I understand you... the tang bolt will only impact about 50% of the tip of the trigger...so you can't drill and tap the trigger to accept the bolt?

I think there are two options.

IF the CVA Mountain barrel is a barrel that fits into the tang, and is removed, leaving the tang, when the barrel is cleaned...as in other plains style rifles... you can use a wood screw for the tang bolt, and a second screw for the trigger. That's the cheapo option.

Option two would be to take the trigger to a welder, and have him add about a 1/2" of metal to the tip of the trigger assembly, so that you can, after inletting the trigger, drill it and tap it as you planned.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:

IF the CVA Mountain barrel is a barrel that fits into the tang, and is removed, leaving the tang, when the barrel is cleaned...as in other plains style rifles... you can use a wood screw for the tang bolt, and a second screw for the trigger. That's the cheapo option.
LD

Yep that is the type is it: now that is a plan... I like it.

Thanks.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
The set screw in the trigger plate should align up with your sear for proper alignment.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Al:
The set screw in the trigger plate should align up with your sear for proper alignment.

Thanks, I am planning on installing the trigger this weekend, timely advice.

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's a handy little tip!

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Bookie
posted Hide Post
Seein' the lock you're using, try the short Ampco nipple from Track. Think it's a PST-A. I use them all the time and that's the only nipple I'll use on my chunk gun. The Siler Mountain lock often prefers the short nipple.

Newton Lodge #59 AF & AM

Posts: 2007 | Location: Corn Patch, Iowa | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post