Find
Notify
Tools

Priming powder
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of jarhead
posted
Howdey good people at the fire. Looking to experiment with current priming powder grades . I currently shoot 3f load w/ 3f prime to consolidated powder . but I now am thinking I mite try 4f prime and want to grind a small amount of 3f down a little finner in a stone mortar and pestle .is this a good thing or am I making a bbig mistake

aim small. miss small.

Posts: 28 | Location: NORTH ADAMS MA. | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I've shot w FFFFg and a little Null B for 30+ years. I've done the grinding thing using a glass mortar and pestle and IMO it's not worth the trouble. A pound of Goex cost <$20. Pretty cheap insurance to save a finger or ......? Hell, find a flint shooter and buy or trade for 1/4 pound or so. That's how I got the Null B. If I didn't have a little over a pound of FFFF on hand and came across some Null B right handy I'd buy it but the FFFF I have will last for several years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rocklock,

Posts: 128 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I guess that for most of us who have been around this sport for a number of years (shooting flint, that is), a goodly number have tried grinding down some FFF for priming. It always seems to happen that every few years, the night before I leave for my first big shoot of the spring, I discover that I only have a small bit of FFFF, regardless of where I've hidden it from myself over the winter. Like most, I have dragged out my handy dandy mortar and pestle and ground some down. It doesn't take long, and the only problem I've found (don't even know that it's a problem) is that not knowing when to quit, or listening to the tv in the other room or to Marie (that's mrs mountainranger) wherever she is, it tends to get ground REALLY fine ... like around 27F hehe.... sort of like black confectioner's sugar Still seems to go off just fine, and probably better than regular 4F.

Give it a try, it's a nice skill to have (if one could call it such), otherwise, always buy 2 cans of 4F at your local suppler!

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of jarhead
posted Hide Post
thank for the input. one of the main problems is up here in western ma. the closest place to buy powder is central main .

aim small. miss small.

Posts: 28 | Location: NORTH ADAMS MA. | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey JH... check out Powder, Inc. They are out of Arkansaw. You can order half a case (five cans, mixed in different granulations, 3f and 4f) rather than a whole case at a time like TOW or other suppliers require... Is a bit less expensive... They are good folks and easy to work with. You have to fill out and complete a release for them, but it's easy and you can scan to your computer and email it or fax it. Half a case is cheaper I feel that I shoot a good bit, but barely go through five cans in a year, so it's perfect for the likes of me. They will give you different granulations in a five pound order like I said.Good luck.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this up,it answers questions for me too... Big Grin

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1491 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I like 4F and prime with it. But there is nothing wrong with using 3F to prime. I've tried it for that purpose and found it difficult to tell the difference unless I fired several shots and paid attention. Stay safe and order it from Powder Inc.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3134 | Location: Virginia (by way of Georgia) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I prime with 3f right out of my horn a bunch and it works fine. That is of course if I'm shooting 3f.

That said, if I'm shooting in a competition or hunting where I change my prime constantly throughout the day I use 4f. I really find no difference with my accuracy between the two primes, but it's just kind a mental thing for me.

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Being that a typical prime - except on the very large locks - is around 3 grains and a pound of 4F contains 7000 grains, A pound of 4F should give well over 2000 shots even if you use a bit more than that for some locks. I still have an unopened can of Dupont 4F and an unopened can of Goex 4F. Currently I'm using up the last few ounces from a previous can. It would not bother me in the least if I had to prime with 3F. IMHO, it's a waste of time and energy grinding powder down not to mention potentially risky.

Posts: 3134 | Location: Virginia (by way of Georgia) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Waste of time. Only advantage to priming with 4f is if you dry ball and are trying to push some down the flash hole with a pick, in my opinion. If I'm shooting at a rendezvous I use a priming gadget I made by hollowing out a piece of elk horn and putting a plunger deal in it. Use it for convenience and because I've got 2 1/2 pounds of 4 f sitting around. I prime from the horn with 3f when hunting or at primitive doings.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I get faster and more positive ignition with 4Fg than with 3Fg. At least I think so... Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I like the earlier style guns and rifles, with large pans, so I've never found an advantage with 4Fg. I have observed 4Fg getting damper, quicker, in those large pans.

Now in some of the post 1800 style locks with the smaller pans, and the "weather proof" pans, then you might get an advantage.

I have also found that I do much better with a singe horn of 3Fg, for both main charge and prime. The simplicity for me is good.

Your mileage may vary.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3665 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In my guns, which are the only ones I know anything about, I can't tell any difference between priming with 3f or 4f. Dropping down to 2f I can tell a very noticeable difference, but I rarely shoot 2 f so it doesn't matter. I have good guns with good locks. And I don't have any tiny flash holes. As Dave said, simplicity is good and your mileage may vary.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
With my guns I cant tell any difference in 4 or 3fff. When I reload while hunting I prime with whatever horn I happen to be using that day which is most times 2ff

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it, when I went out to the range the other day to make loud noises and put holes in paper, I tried priming with 3F. I found it a bit more difficult to prime with my powder horn, but ignition was good, like with 4F. This was on my SW Virginia flintlock that has an L&R Durs Egg lock. Because priming with my big horn with 3F isn't as convenient as using my priming horn, I'll stick with that, but it's nice to know that if I need to I can prime with 3F with no problems.

Sua Sponte

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I prime with 4F but prefer 41/2F. Wait-a-minute; I did not say that! But if there were a 4.5FFFF- I'd surely use that. Ground up match heads (the blue ones) should work. This Bourbon is flat-out-good! It makes my thinking very clearheaded. Either that or LDS flashbacks from the 60s.

times passes.

I'm better now. Big Grin

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Is that Latter Day Saints flashback? hehe Any burbon is better than NO burbon,but I have to say that I prefer some Jack over ice. Hanshi, yer just gonna to have to come down to this part of the state and shoot with us sometime!

Sua Sponte

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
MountainRanger, I sure would like that! Something to seriously think about. Thanks for the invite.

I like a little Jack over ice, myself. A friend I spend time with each August usually has one or two bourbons that are pretty dang good. One that he likes is just too much for me and there's another neither of us much cares for.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Hanshi, Put a big goose-egg mark around Memorial Day weekend 2016. That's when our club's first big weekend shoot is. Bring camping gear and your firesticks for the weekend. I'll PM you email and phone number. There will be paper targets for rifles and smooth bores, possibly a woods walk (won't know the exact line up till much later), re-entries allowed, and lots of things for sale. There is ample room for primitive, tent and camper camping... "ample" being sort of a subjective word, of course... hehe We have a target for tomahawk and knife set up if you like to throw

Our range is so far out in the country we have to have sunshine piped in!!! and there ain't no cell phone coverage. Guess if there's an emergency, someone would run down to the farm on the road and have them call 911 and a chopper would land in the pasture. Bucolic as hell but peaceful, even with the smoke and firing.

Sua Sponte

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Actually, that's my kind of place. I use to live in the boonies and still miss it. Health problems sorta changed things for both of us. But I do love the "vous"; it's been a long time since I was able to attend one.