New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buidling again
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
It's been awhile since I've built any guns.
I switched to guitars for a bit.

I think I just sort of got bored with it.
Recently someone asked me to show them how to build some parts, and to do it over email.
That led to a book (self published).
I actually enjoyed the book writing and picture taking while building thing, even though there are likely more qualified people out there.

The good news is that I have found motivation in building again. It's weird motivation, but i'll take it.
I like to build parts from scratch, and without using my machine shop or other fancy tools. So, that is where I aimed the writing.

I am on patch box number four now, for the next project, and I really like making those. It probably isn't cost effective, but it is sort of peaceful.

I have decided to move into the weird and different a little, and have a question.
I know that gun makers made their own patch boxes when they needed to, but how far from the common design did they go?
Anyone have examples of really weird ones?

I built the standard hawken style patch/cap box (from scrAP metal, of course), but now i'm thinking about getting a little weird.

I'm not interested in creating a replica gun (I intend this one to be my own gun), but I wondered what traditional minded folk would think. So, I guess i'm after opinions, if you have the interest in sharing them.

Pics attached of the most recent box, and a drawing of the one i'm starting to build.

Posts: 154 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
The drawing for the new project.

Posts: 154 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It's a hobby so doesn't necessarily need to be cost effective. All things evolve and building is an art; practice your art is my first thought.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
If you like it I like it. I can see using pieces cut from a real turtle shell to inlet around the lid, maybe using the shell inside the ring of parts around the outside(hope I'm making sence here.) to make the lid. nothing weird about it. I would be excited to see a pic of it done.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to start cutting things out today.

I don't get a lot of time to work on stuff, and that has been some of the problem for me. I only get an hour or two to work on stuff, and that often isn't enough time to finish anything or even get a good start, so I tend to not start at all.

I've recently been trying to break the projects into smaller jobs that I can accomplish quickly.
For instance: I can't do much today, but I may be able to cut the basic shape out of my scrap metal. Maybe next week I can file to a closer shape. The lid might be cut out at a later date.

This drags the project out, but at least I am doing something again.

Time is truly the most valuable thing.

I've already made two patch boxes for this new rifle, but I really like the idea of this one.
Hopefully it will come out good.

I still have to do some work on the drum for the barrel. It threads in, but the threads seem a bit loose to me. I may make a new drum, and expand my thread die to cut larger threads and see if I can get one to fit

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I had to dig around for some suitable scrap metal.
Most oF my sheet metal is thinner than 1/16"
I needed at least 1/16" for this. It could have actually been a bit thicker, but it's gonna work.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I got the hard part done today.

I just need to do a bunch of filing and sanding now.

I think I'm going to try to make the spring so that the eyes can be screws, for attachment, and to hold the spring at the same time.
If that doesn't work, I can put a single screw behind the eyes for the spring.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I don't know the first thing about building guns,but would it be possible to enamel a finish on the lid to make it look like an actual turtle shell?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I don't know the first thing about enameling, but I bet it would be possible.

I think i'm going to brown this one. Maybe blue, but probably brown. I'll have to wait to see how the rest of the gun turns out before I decide completely.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,the only reason I even thought of it is that my wife used to make jewelry...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Walking Bear 1954
posted Hide Post
I am a hobby leather worker and was stuff. I am self taught along with YOU TUBE. I give most of it to friends.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep that can contest the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Sorry possible bag

Posts: 33 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post