New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing a hammer
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
I'm just a bit stumped on how to remove the hammer from the tumbler and lock plate. it's a siler percussion lock and i need to do a bit of filling and browning. I'm thinking it needs to be punched out but until you guys confirm that I don't want to be beating on it? suggestions?

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Hawg,
Remove the large headed screw from the hammer. Then lay the back of the lock plate on two blocks with the tumbler between the two. Then use a large enough pin punch that fits in the hole, gently tap with a hammer. The tumbler should come off after a few taps. If not increase the vigor of the taps in small increments untill it does. make sure your blocks are tall enough to allow the tumbler to come off, but not so high that it can bounce off your bench and under your bench.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by volatpluvia:
Then use a large enough pin punch that fits in the hole, León

ok, you mean fits actually into the threaded hole? or just cover the hole but fit the square shank?
thanks

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
You want the punch to be big enough to fit the square shank and NOT go into the threaded hole. The last thing you want to do is bugger up the threads in the tumbler shaft.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Respectfully, Papa, I prefer using a SMALL enough punch, inside the hole. This won't damage the threads and also will not peen the whole shaft or damage the opening of the hole. Never have had a problem. Alternately there is a tool set, by L&R I think, that gently pries the hammer from the shaft, then helps you press it all back together. Unnecessary tool, maybe, but helpful for some folks.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick:
Respectfully, Papa, I prefer using a SMALL enough punch, inside the hole. This won't damage the threads and also will not peen the whole shaft or damage the opening of the hole. Never have had a problem. Alternately there is a tool set, by L&R I think, that gently pries the hammer from the shaft, then helps you press it all back together. Unnecessary tool, maybe, but helpful for some folks.

Dick

it was pretty tight, which is good, but I got it. went inside as I had nothing that would fit outside. thanks all

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Dick,
I have also seen it done that way, you just have to be careful. One fellow also made a tool that was like a small gear puller that worked to remove the hammer but it had to be pressed back on.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, such a tool would be nifty..., I put a brass punch into the screw-hole, as I have seen folks peen the square of the tumbler causing a fitting problem when putting the hammer back on... Eeker

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A brass square headed punch to fit the tumbler shaft is the best solution. The tumbler is hardened, and I once saw a guy using the round punch in the hole method break the shaft off of the tumbler. A properly fit shaft cannot be peened if it inside of the square hole of the cock.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Respectfully , im Like Pete , I drive the tumbler out by fitting to the shank not the hole .
The square shank should not extend higher then the side of the cock . Considering that , the type of metal used to case the tumbler … one would have to do some serious hammering with a harder tool like a ball ping to spread the shank . Not to mention even if you did manage to spread the shank , the cock itself would not allow the shank to spread any larger then the square hole .
For a tool what I use is a small nut driver from one of those cheep dollar store miniature screw driver sets . There is a small nut driver in that set that fit perfectly to the square of the shaft and will cleanly go through the square hole of the cock . The driver is also made from soft material . This it wont mar the tumbler .. The rest of the set one can make small chisels for inletting .

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post