MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    getting an aged grey patina look on muzzleloader barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting an aged grey patina look on muzzleloader barrel
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I have a muzzleloader barrel that I would like to produce a dark grey aged patina look to it. The barrel still has some bluing on it that I first need to take off.I have two questions: First is how do I take off all the old bluing on the barrel? Second, What steps do I take to produce a nice dark grey patina look to my barrel? Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 12 March 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
I'd try removing the old bluing with Birchwood Casey Blue & Rust remover followed by 0000 steel wool and a degreaser. For the patina, I'd try applications of yellow mustard (which is acetic acid in a thick paste), allow to dry then buff off and repeat for a few applications. I'd try the bluing removal and mustard on a small section of the underside of the barrel to confirm the results were going to be satisfactory before doing the entire barrel. Another way would be remove the bluing, degrease, and let the patina form naturally through use. The first few months may be kind of splotchy looking, but eventually everything should even out.

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I have not done this but read of folks using a vinegar procedure. Some searches might locate info on steps and results.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply! I will look into it and see what I can find out. Thankyou. cowboys1062

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Another way to hasten a patina is to take a used cleaning patch that still has black powder fouling and rub down the exposed metal with it and then wipe it dry without oiling or really cleaning it off. When the desired patina is achieved clean the surface and then oil.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
laryp, Thanks for the reply and info. cowboys1062

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
seems a couple of months ago Josh (knife maker) started a discussion about aging his blades with a coal slurry. You might go back and look for this. I wish I knew how my gun builder Mark Elliott, aged the barrel on the SW Virginia flintlock he built for me. I really does look like it's 200 years old.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of products that are on the market called "cold blue", one is sold by Birchwood Casy and the other I cannot remember at the moment. I have used both and they are great for doing what you want. You apply the cold blue on your clean and degreased barrel. Let it set for a day, then go over the barrel with 0000 steel wool. You will remove most of the blue black color and end up with a nice gray finish. Then rub it down with an oil rag and you're done.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I ended up using BC's Bluing and Degreaser to take the old bluing off the barrel. I then took some 0000 steel wool and lightly went over the barrel. I then went over the barrel with an alcohol patch. I then reapplied some BC Bluing to the barrel and blended it in real good using 0000 steel wool until I got a nice grey blue color. I then mixed some vinegar and mustard together and applied that to the barrel and let it dry on for a couple hours. I then took a washcloth and wiped all the vinegar and mustard off the barrel.The Barrel had turned a dark grey in color. I took some more 0000 steel wool and blended and evened out the barrel finish. It came out even better than I hoped! The barrel now has that nice dark grey patina aged look to it that I was looking for. Last thing I did was put a light coat of gun oil on it and put it away. Job Well Done! I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and advice. It really gave me alot of options to think about and try. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Factor
posted Hide Post
If you want an aged patina that is similar to what would've formed on the barrel over time exposed to the elements, use mustard, the condiment.

The mustard contains vinegar, but unlike using plain vinegar which will bead-up and give your barrel measles, the mustard holds the vinegar in place while the mustard dries. Some folks mix extra vinegar in, but I clean off any grease on the metal, and then just smear on a layer, allow it to dry hard and brown, then knock it off with a tooth brush, and repeat until the desired patina is achieved. Some folks take it beyond where they'd like it, and then polish the metal back a bit, to give it the look that the owner is trying to keep the barrel (or the knife) clean, but not succeeding 100%. When polishing the metal back, many folks that I know use soft scrub for ceramic stovetops, and a YELLOW scrubbie, also for ceramic stove tops. Apparently the low abrasiveness of the yellow scrubbie gives a better result on the barrel.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
IMHO Naval Jelly leaves a gray finish rub it down with steel wool and oil.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Household bleach will do it. Dilute at least 5 to 1 and apply. Watch carefully until desired effect is reached the wash and neutralize.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Rifleman1776. I ended up taking off the old bluing and reblued the barrel.I then used 0000 stealwool and brought down the fresh bluing a bit. Then mixed vinegar and mustard together and applied it to the barrel for a couple of hours until it was dried on pretty good. I then wiped it off with a washcloth. The barrel turned a dark grey and I used 0000 stealwool to lighten up the color a little bit. Now it has that aged look I was hoping for.I will remember what you said and try that method the next time I age a barrel. Again, thanks for the information and education. cowboys1062.