MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hoot AL, what's happening in the rifleshop these days
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoot AL, what's happening in the rifleshop these days
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Had young fella show up at my shop with a pistol kit. Asked me to assemble it and shape the pistol grip. Well, got 'er done. Kind of a strange creature. It shoots all three barrels at once.

They call it a Duck Foot pistol.

hootalrifleshop.org

Duck Foot Pistol

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Started building rifles for my grandsons. .50 caliber barrels. American Black Walnut stocks. They will be Southern Mountain rifles with Virginian influence. One will be decked out in brass furniture and the other one will be german silver.

hootalrifleshop.org

Stocks

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
One rifle will be flint and the other one is percussion.

hootalrifleshop.org

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Those are going to be some happy kids! Keep showing us your progress, please.
~Kees~

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Winter Hawk,

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
The barrels are pinned. Locks and triggers installed. Also the tang bolts are in place down to the trigger plates.

Next I will groove out the ramrod channels and drill the ramrod holes in the stocks.

hootalrifleshop.org

Both Rifles

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Those little rifles are looking just terrific, Al!

I (and I'm sure all of us) would love to see some full-length photos.

Are those Siler locks?

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Here are more photos.

hootalrifleshop.org

Rifles

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are Siler locks and double set triggers.

hootalrifleshop.org

Silver buttplate

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Here are the triggers.

hootalrifleshop.org

Triggers

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Laying out the cheekpiece on the stock using the Golden Mean method.

hootalrifleshop.org

Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I really like seeing a true craftsman do his thing.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I see that NMLRA has the Golden Mean booklet available again; I need to get a copy so I can learn what Hoot Al is referring to....

~Kees~

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Here is some information from my website. Link: http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/golden_mean.htm

I started carving the cheekpieces and mounted the butt plates and side plates on both rifles.

hootalrifleshop.org

Stocks

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
My grandsons' rifles are done. Here is a photo.

hootalrifleshop.org

Rifles

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Here is another photo of the rifles.

hootalrifleshop.org

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Now those are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!! Thank you for showing them to us.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looking good Hootie!

Stopped by for a visit.
DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post