Find
Notify
Tools

New Parts Build Rifle
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted
Well guys, I realize that this post is likely not going to sit well with some here, and for that I do apologize.
In a moment of weakness awhile back I bought a new barrel from track for my Lyman GPR. I bought a GP Hunter barrel with a plan to swap over my existing flint barrel and shoot large game with hand cast .50 cal 370gr Maxi balls. Well, lets just say that barrels are not so easily swapped.
At least not if you plan to be able to swap back and still have a decent looking firearm. So, my new plan is to turn this into a build project next winter and spend the summer collecting the necessary items required. Thus my question, should I go with half or full stock? I prefer iron furnature and will be ordering a pre-inletted stock for this barrel (I am not great with wood). I do have a L&R percussion lock already on order. Maple or Walnut? (I love the maple but walnut is likely more correct).
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'd say you're on the right track. A halfstock makes more sense to me.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
You poor man ... welcome to the club.... started down the similar path over a year back.... still don't have the barrel in wood yet ...

I would talk to the folks at gunstocks plus they can inlet the barrel and rough the stock.

If you are going cap lock then I would go half stock, if rock lock I would look at the jagger style.

As for wood... I am a maple kinda guy myself.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What Huntinguy said.......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I really like the curly maple and was seriously thinking the full stock as both my other ml's are half stock walnut (.50 gpr flint and .54 home built poor boy plains cap). Just was thinking of trying something different. To be honest I am not sure that it would survive the mail and customs getting a full stock up here!
Lots to think on for sure.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
I plan on the same type of project except I have all the furniture for a renegade except the barrel and stock. So I can build a rifle and save a little cash by using the T/C tang and lock and maybe the trigger guard too.

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
The old book The Plains Rifle by Charles Hanson, Jr. says, I think, that some or many of the plains rifles were built using plain maple, stained dark. That was his impression, if I'm remembering it correctly. Curly maple is beautiful, but an affectation on a plains rifle, in my opinion. So I'd vote for either plain maple or black walnut. Good luck and have fun.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I think i'm going to go with the Maple and in half stock again. Thanks for the input, looking forward to the build next winter.
Walk

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Changed the plan, sometimes I think that I don't think!
New plan, sink the new .50 GPH barrel in the existing half stock GPR system then order my full stock pre-inlet and all the desired furniture and build a full stock hawken flinter (again, next winters project).
Walk