MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    New Rifle Project - Virginia -Southern Mountain Rifle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rifle Project - Virginia -Southern Mountain Rifle
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Excellent work Al!

I especially like the inlay work and poured nose cap.

DanL

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
The metal work is now browned. Next the stock is stained and oiled down. The barrel is looking good, too.

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I was applying the final oil coat on the rifle and the stock snapped in half mid-way down the stock. Unrepairable - shattered!!

Ordered new stock. Have to start all over again. Oh well!!! ___it happens, eh??!

The stock supplier said if there is heavy curl in the wood, it can create cracks in the wood. Reckon I found it.

hootalrifleshop.org

stock broke

Posts: 1399 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
The stock was looking good, too.

hootalrifleshop.org

Factor
posted Hide Post
Aye-yi-yi....Ya, it was looking pretty good....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
WOW Al ; Just WOW!!

That was an unexpected and unwelcome turn of events. I'm guessing super glue and rubber bands will not suffice in this case.

All the best with the rebuild.

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Is the stock supplier helping out with the replacement at all?

Dan

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
He was of no assistance. Said because it had a lot of curl, this can occur. Since the breakage was more severe than the last breakage, I am repkacing the stock myself. This is for a customer so I am not going to try and repair again. Cudtomer deserves better. Will invest another 2 months labor to rebuild the rifle. Accidents can be painful. Customer was very understanding and supportive.

hootalrifleshop.org

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Having to start over is the pits. One just doesn't need that kind of aggravation.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Al, I am sure The next one will be perfect!

Sending good vibes for your Re-build.

Waiting and watching,
DanL

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I'll proabably add a little embellishment to it due to the delay. Only fair.

hootalrifleshop.org

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Save the broken stock; it would make a dandy half-stock! Big Grin

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Al, how's the remake going?

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Got the new stock. Inletted the barrel and tang. Made new brass barrel tenons and ready to pin the first barrel pin to the stock. Once this is done, I am ready to inlet the lock assembly.

hootalrifleshop.org

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear its moving along.

Factor
posted Hide Post
So, what are you going to do with the broken one?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
The barrel and barrel tang are inletted into the stock. New brass tenons made and mounted on barrel. The pins were drilled and the barrel is now pinned to the stock. Next I inletted the lock into the stock and was able to now activate the lock pressing on the sear arm. Then onto installing the lock bolts before inletting the triggers. The replacement stock had a smaller lock inlet area than the original. The original called for a 6" lock. The replacement stock called for a smaller lock. Fortunately I had a duplicate lock which was smaller.

hootalrifleshop.org

lock

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice progress AL.

Looking good.

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
The rifle is progressing well. Triggers installed. Trigger guard, butt plate and toe plate. Thimbles installed. Poured a nose cap.

hootalrifleshop.org

Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
Placed molding down along the sides of the forearm. Then carved in a little embellishment at the end of the molding.

hootalrifleshop.org