Find
Notify
Tools

CVA/JUkar/Traditions
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted
Ok so as most of you know , every now and then I like to take one of these old rifles and BASH!!!! It .
Ok well more like see how they could turn out if CVA would have done things just a little different .
Through the years we have had many episodes of bobcats and re shaping the two piece stock .

But I got to thinking since there was only a very small production run of the Kentucky rifles in full stock and most have never seen one , I thought ; ok lets do a complete restock of the two piece stocked rifle .
For this build we replaced the factory flintlock with a Manton . I also added double set triggers and new trigger guard . I made a new side plate and also new RR pipes so as to go to a 5/16 RR vs. the rather large 3/8+ RR. I also made a new rear sight .

So here it is .

making the rear sight

the side plate

near completion photos

here ars some comparission shots . also i would like to make not that the ballance point of the rifle even the patch and additional parts moved back 2 inchs

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Man Capt - That sure is pretty !! Nice work.

Rupe/PA

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better. Big Grin Very nice work.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice...

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice, very impressive.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Great job Cap! Looks awesome.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow,I love it!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas . This next weekend it goes back to its owner .
Hopefully it will get someone to re think what can be done with that old rifle in the back of a closet

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
let me guess.a 54 cal with a fast twist barrel that's beatiful

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunters last stand:
let me guess.a 54 cal with a fast twist barrel that's beatiful

LOL no sorry . but ill send you a PM about that

Booshway
posted Hide Post
captchee I have one of each of those rifles..I recently took the Junkar and took the "fore end" off, right where the brass connector is,whittled a"tongue' on the butt stock,like the one connecting the nose cap to the Forearm,Took the nose cap and relocated further back on the barrel,soldered it to the barrel,built new under barrel thimbles to hold the ram rod.Reblued the barrel, restained the stock to an Early American Red (deep brown/chestnut) Might have made a sows ear out of a silk purse ha ha ha ha ha ,Balances well, the barrel look long,like an underhammer, and the stock small,tried relief carving, and the Golden Rule went out the door long ago, If you took the forearm off the Junkar you have you could get the idea alittle better.I was given the rifle when it had been repurposed from a rifle into alamp then I reborn it to a rifle.No PC/HC just shooting rifle,Grandson ,9, figures it fits his "Persona" which is,Young man without a BP rifle ha ha
I like the rifles,both,you posted.See you up the trail,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
that a boy Crow , thats what its all about

Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Nice job, as usual, captchee.
I'm doing a "companion project" as a Montana Historical Gunmakers' Guild member--building a .45 flint pistol from a pre-carve, straight barrel, small Siler--and when I get bored with that I am converting an old CVA "Kentucky" pistol from percussion to flint, filing a slot for an underlug to replace the stupid screws in the nose-cap, and I'm going to make the stock a little sexier, too. Wish I could have you peering over my shoulder...

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
awesome. wish I had skills. Frowner

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Before you send that kitbashed rifle to it's owner, you'd better send it to me for a thorough regiment of testing to make sure it's going to shoot as pretty as it looks.

I'll be looking forward to your package by the end of the next week.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow Captchee; I'd like to do something like that to one of those little derringer kits. I'd make such a hash of it though.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post