New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing gun oil?
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
If 1 wishes to completely remove all oil from barrel surface,What is used? Alcohol? Acetone? What? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Acetone would work

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
That was what I was hoping Wink Many Thanks Big Grin

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend alcohol. Acetone will remove any stock finish. For faster results a cleaning patch cut from a ScotchBrite pad works wonders.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If barrel is out of rifle, plain ole soap and water does fine. Other than that most any suggested solvent.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
Isopropanol (2-propanol, rubbing alcohol).
I agree with Hanshi about acetone.

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Thanks Gents! Wink

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rifleman1776's use of soap and water. That is of coarse with the barrel removed from the stock. Dawn dish soap was designed as a grease remover, so Dawn is my soap of choice. When I am going to brown or blue a barrel, I wash it down with the soap & water solution. Dry with clean towels. Then I go over the entire barrel with rubbing alcohol. I also wear good gripping rubber gloves to keep my hand oils "cooties" from messing up all of my intended work.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Cranbrook,,Thank you for the tip about the gloves Wink now why in thunder didn't I think of that Confused

Rifleman1776: soap & water it is Wink

Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
For cleaning my guns I use soap and water ... but for removing any oil prior to shooting at the range I use a cleaning patch with IPA. Far easier than soap and water there!

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I agree with the soap and water technic. Solvents can chew on other things you may not want chewed on.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post