New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear sight
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
After giving it a lot of thought I went and installed a rear sight on my 20 gauge Caywood, will do some shooting tomorrow to see if my decision was a good one......B Staley

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Eeker Keep us posted on results

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Boyd, I like the rear sight on my smoothbore. I shoot it just like a rifle plus I know where my shot patterns hit.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Let us know how she works out

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rear sights on smoothies seem to be getting more acceptable. I have never learned my 'anchor point' for shooting my fowler and am considering putting a rear sight on it so I can hit what I am looking at.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
I have a D. Caywood chief grade 62cal with a rear sight and it suits me just fine with these old eyes every bit helps

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Did a little shooting today started off with 80 grains of 2f Goex then a over powder wad then a fiber cushion wad a .610 ball then a ox-yoke wad several shots of that and I knew that wasn't going to work. So I started with 80 grains of 2f an ox-yoke wad .610 ball then another ox-yoke wad much better but was having trouble seeing the front sight so I put some white tape on the front sight, much better, the picture shows my last 2 shots on a clean target. I can live with that. Was shooting at 25 yards from a rest.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's good shootin' there BStaley. Did you cut the dovetail yourself or did you have somebody do it for you? When I get my next smoothie I've thought a rear sight might be a good idea for me too.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dave I used JB Weld if it don't hold up I probably will have a gunsmith cut a dovetail but right now it looks like it will hold will see.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Staley:
I can live with that. Was shooting at 25 yards from a rest.
Both my 28 and 20ga Early Virginia's are basically 'smooth-riles' with rear sights and essentially shoot like rifles to the 50-75yd distances I hunt them

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
RB I haven't shoot a deer over 50 yards in a long time my 28 gauge seams to do very well without a rear sight but never could get this 20 gauge to shoot round balls worth a darn that's why the rear sight. You shoot a lot better than I do but I keep after it.....Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to like this.

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Staley:
I think I'm going to like this.
Now which gun is that in the photo? ( I'm assuming you didn't use .62cal PRBs )

I even find the rifle sights for great for shot loads after squirrels & turkey as they're usually stationary targets anyways

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My 20 gauge Caywood that I put the sights on I was using shot on the squirrels.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
MAy have to do that with my Tulle I'm building

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am going to put one on my Pedersoli tradegun, and it won't hurt the "authenticity" a bit... not very close to a proper tradegun anyway... but it shoots very well.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post