MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What have you done to a muzzleloader lately?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you done to a muzzleloader lately?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Good morning Y'all.

When I find shop time, I have been altering a couple of muzzleloaders to better fit me and my needs for shooting and/or hunting. As stated in an earlier discussion, I fitted a mule ear lock in a PA Hunter rifle. I adjusted the length of pull (LOP) to fit me. The mule ear lock and LOP adjustment have been wonderful alterations.

Over the years, I have collected some pieces and parts for what I imagined would be needed for getting a couple of neglected old production guns up and functioning for my play time at the range, etc.......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have some T/C rifles and pistols, some CVA rifles and some Lyman plains pistols. In addition, over the years I have collected or made many parts and pieces to make them whole again and functional.

For a .50 T/C Hawken, Instead of cutting a beautiful original T/C Hawken stock, I purchased a replacement stock from Pecatonica River longrifle supply. I adjusted the LOP in two aspects. I shortened the buttstock and added a (Historically correct [HC] Big Grin ) grind to fit butt pad. The butt pad provides some recoil absorption for my replaced shoulder. The LOP adjustment was needed because with a new shoulder came a shorter LOP than I formally had. Most people with shoulder replacement do not have this particular issue but my situation is somewhat unique so I have to adjust things a bit.

Also, just to satisfy a curiosity of mine, I fitted an L & R Replacement (RPL) percussion lock to this rifle. I am currently using one of my original T/C .50 barrels on this rifle. With careful fitment, the L & R RPL lock works like a charm. It is a fine lock and I am very happy with it.

The only items original to the T/C parent are the barrel, double triggers, trigger guard and other small incidentals. This is a hybrid of sorts that fits me perfectly, it is very accurate and with the recoil pad, keeps me shooting comfortably.

Now some of you might say.....
Why didn't you just build from scratch?

A valid question. I have built from scratch and am happy with what I have built. I just like playing with things to see if I can make it work out. Maybe some things that I discover while tinkering will help someone in their ventures as well.

The fire burns low. Time to find some firewood,
DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I no longer tinker with my MLs like I once did. In truth they are all I could ask for in terms of fitment, accuracy and reliability. I use to do a lot of tinkering with modern pistols and rifles but no longer. I now have mild hand tremors which makes detailed work a bit difficult.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have a T-C Pennsylvania Hunter which doesn't quite fit me. To get a good cheek weld the sights don't line up (too high). It was either add some wood on top of the cheek piece or lower the sights. I made a lower fixed rear sight and replaced the front with a shorter one. Now it shoots 6" low and I don't want to file the front sight down any more, so I'll try making a taller rear. BUT, the sights line up well now with my cheek firmly against the stock!

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Okay, yesterday I took a .45 to the range and it didn't go well. So back at home I cleaned it up and put it back to bed. Now for today. I took that same Bobby Hoyt barreled .45 and and relieved/polished the muzzle crown. I realized that I had not done that one procedure for easing reloading. All my others have been worked and now ALL of them have.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have coned the muzzles of all my M/L rifles and am pleased with the results. No short starter needed, although getting the ball started down the bore takes a little "oomph".

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Well, not exactly gunsmithing, but I removed the rear sight on my primary hunting rifle and install a tang peep. I'm hoping it helps with these old aging eyes of mine.

I have a new front sight as well but I'll see how the peep does with the original post front first.

Posts: 177 | Location: Kooskooskie River Country | Registered: 02 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post