New
Find
Notify
Tools

inletters ink??
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
or so I've heard it called. is it an actual product? is it just simply ink or chalk or what? I've checked into all my local hobby stores and blank looks are all I'm getting.
open to suggestions, thank you.

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What are you using the ink on/for???Engraving metal??? scrimshaw on horns????

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
What are you using the ink on/for???Engraving metal??? scrimshaw on horns????

on a gun kit with some inletting done. my understanding is that you place this product on the metal to be fitted and the coloring it leaves on the wood shows the wood that needs to be removed. I don't really think it is ink but maybe more like chalk. I'm even thinking maybe a lumber crayon would work

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hoot Al
posted Hide Post
I use candle soot like the old timers. Not near as messy and works great. The store bought stuff some how wants to get all over you. I used it once and that was it for me.

Hoot AL

hootalrifleshop.org

Posts: 1400 | Location: Rolling Hills of Iowa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hawg,
It's not ink or chalk, it's soot. Light a candle and run the piece you are inletting over the flame. The flame will blacken the part with soot which will in turn rub off wherever it is hitting the stock. Your hands will become liberally covered also unless you are careful.
Mark

Posts: 68 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
What you may be thinking of as inletting ink , could be Dykem Blue
Also Known as high spot blue or Persian blue . Here is a link
http://itwprofessionalbrands.c...uct.php?product=1172.

Speaking for myself , I have found nothing that’s as messy as candle soot or soot from a smudge stick ,. LMAO , at least in my hands anyway .
What I use is a Dark blue or Black Marks a lot or Sharpie . They transfer well and don’t end up all over my hands and clothes. Depending on the brand you get , you may have to recoat the part often . However the to brands I have mentioned , I can get 2-4 transfers before I have to recoat

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captchee:
What you may be thinking of as inletting ink , could be Dykem Blue
Also Known as high spot blue or Persian blue . Here is a link
http://itwprofessionalbrands.c...uct.php?product=1172.

Speaking for myself , I have found nothing that’s as messy as candle soot or soot from a smudge stick ,. LMAO , at least in my hands anyway .
What I use is a Dark blue or Black Marks a lot or Sharpie . They transfer well and don’t end up all over my hands and clothes. Depending on the brand you get , you may have to recoat the part often . However the to brands I have mentioned , I can get 2-4 transfers before I have to recoat

thanks, I'll check both.
however, I'm not picturing the sharpie cleaning off the part well.

Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
the sharpie actually comes right off on metal parts . In fact after a couple transfers on say a barrel or lock inlet where the same place is touching time and time again , that spot will become bright again and you will have to recoat the part . On wood it doesn’t penetrate so no issues.
It simply doesn’t stick like you would think it does

where is a barrel coated with a marks A lot.

here is the transfer

heere you can see the color starting to leave the barrel

it really does work very well and does not make a mess
as a side note, i laso use the same marker to define my engraving so i can better see areas i need to clean up , prior to acctualy applying a perminant type of engraving black .
when i happy with the cuts , i then take carb cleaner and a quick short burst and all the sharpie runs right of and wipes away . clean as a whistle.

but again if the consern is the wood . i have found that it holds to the wood no harder then soot . lips stick , PB or wax markers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captchee,

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Probably searching for the wrong name, try asking for inletting black. Doubt hobby stores have it, but any muzzleloader place that sells gunmaking supplies or parts should have it. Main brand is Jerrows (Jeros? sp?). Some love it, some hate it, most of the guys I build with use it but a little goes a looonnng way.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of BigOtto
posted Hide Post
One coat of inletting black does keep giving. I use a small brush and after each fitting just smear it back over the surface it was transferred from.

The best part about pounding my head against a wall, It feels really good when I stop.

Posts: 11 | Location: Central Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
For my inletting black, I used a bit of vaseline and mixed in a whole tube of black artist oil paint. Have had it on my bench ever since.. Cleans off of the wood with a bit of denatured alcohol on a rag.. and like the others a lil goes a LONG way and keeps on giving!!

Spread thin and as sparingly as you can..

FWIW ??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

oh and lately I've taken to using the black to get me close.. clean everything off and then heating the part ( just to an uncomfortable finger holding temp ) and then pressing into the intlet.. the wood will darken a bit on the high spots and easily marks where to remove them..

works for me anyways???

Posts: 73 | Location: KC | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I steal a lipstick from the DW bright colored my old eyes can see and it wipes off on the stock great. It cleans off the part when done easy.

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I've used candle soot, and lipstick..., had to ask the wife for a color she no longer used..., word of warning, don't swipe any old lipstick from your wife as that stuff is apparently expensive, and they get really uptight about it being missing, so it was lucky that I asked.

I've never tried the vaseline and paint, but I will. The last lock I fitted I used the soot method but then there's an open flame on the bench.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I have used inletting black for years and it can be messy. Got a tip from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. Lumber crayon, works great, is not messy, and comes in a variety colors. Local hardware or lumber store has them, About $1.50. Fitting the butt plate was a dream using this.

Posts: 180 | Location: Harrisburg, Pa | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post