New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate for a 29 cal ???
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Guys, I'm new to the muzzleloaders... I need some info on what would be the best twist rate for a 29 cal.? How critical is the depth of the riflings ??? Does the length of the barrel change anything ???

I was born 100 years to late

If it aint broke fix it till it is...

verizon cell 937-205-4486

Posts: 12 | Location: Hillsboro, Ohio | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Many .32 cals are 1x48. Might be something like that. Welcome to the fire, and I get a chuckle out of fixing it til you break it. Congratulations on the trap shoot championship. I couldn't hit a flying horse . . .

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks, I think I will get a 1:66 twist I think the slower rate is for the ball and the fast rate is for the conical bullet.. I'm not sure but that is the way I have been told... The 1:48 seems to be in the middle so you can shoot both ways ??? someone correct me if I'm wrong... As for the trap shoot that was a blast... I'm a 26.5 yard shooter... There were 3738 people in that shoot that day and a hilljack won it all... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 12 | Location: Hillsboro, Ohio | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
SCLoyalist, Yes I have found a couple custom barrel makers that are going make me a barrel... I'm going to try a 32 cal. with a 1:66 twist also...

Factor
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your project. The British determined that to stabilize a large ball, at least 1/4 turn was needed before the ball exited the bore. Now it appears they sacrificed a bit of the optimal accuracy for fast loading on the battlefield.

Modern barrel makers for patched round ball and slow twist, normally give the ball very close to a 1/2 twist, perhaps fraction more or less, in a round ball barrel of large caliber. So you find 1:66 twist in a 28" barrel as well as 44" barrels, 1:56 in some 38" barrels, and 1:70 in some 42" barrels, and sometimes you find a very slow 1:72 in a 31" barrel from one company, and 1:24 in a 28" barrel..., all for patched round ball.

Of course the style of rifling and the depth have something to do with the maker's choice of spin rate.

You might want to be sure you don't reduce the barrel length much below 33". The real trick will be the ramrod, as below .32 caliber, they get tricky, even when brass.

Looking forward to hearing the results. Smiler

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep, smaller means faster twist. I have a friend who made a muzzle loader from a .22lr rifle barrel. No patch, he shoved a shot down the barrel and killed truck loads of squirrels with it. I'll betcha an old modern .308 barrel rebuilt into a muzzle loader would be a fine shooter.
Check with some of the top ml pistol shooters. You will be surprised to find some really fast twists in their match winning guns.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Actually , I think you will find that most barrel makers offer even smaller cal RB barrles in faster twist . The reason for that is as the ball gets smaller in diameter it is less lilly to maintain its spin as it leaves the barrel .
For a 36 cal I would recommend a 1 in 48-1 in 56 for a 36 .
Should be ok for a 29 as well

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Check the specs from experienced barrel makers. Almost all small bores are 1:48. These guys solved the problem years ago. A small bore that shoots 2"-3" groups will not make the owner happy.

Posts: 332 | Location: South Coast (MS) | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a 32 cal coming with a 1:66 twist rate ... Not sure on the 29-30 cal barrel yet as far as the twist rate... I have some guys telling me a 1:66 twist shoots great,,, I will know in 5-6 weeks... But all the info is helpful..

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You may find that a slow twist barrel will give disappointing accuracy with such a small caliber.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
SCLoyalist, It is 15/16ths across the flats 34" long ( goin on a halfstock ) I think he is cutting the riflings .15 thousands deep... I ask him to cut a little deeper ( may not foul as quick ) and may help the patch grip a ittle better... Rex Maxxie used to put a 1:57 twist on the small caliber barrels... I think the guy that has Rex's machine says it is a 30 cal not a 29 but that won't matter... I will get all the other barrel info if that aint what you need...

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
SCLoyalist, It is a halfstock percussion... It won't be that bad... Huntin is my goal... I guess the wind should move it too much... I will let you know how it shoots... It may be a stove poker instead of a muzzleloader... It is on an applewood stock I will get some picks of the stock on here later....

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Just a guess but a barrel of that size in .29 should weigh around 12 pounds, maybe a bit more. And NO; the wind won't move it.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
lol,it shouldn't kick any