Notify
Tools

butt plate material
 Login/Join

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
Progress

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Did you use that jobillo? Looks like it's joined up nice.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
yes it is jobillo. Now I am wondering what to do to it as far as staining or what ever. Don't know if I want to leave it light and contrasting or darken it up a bit. The next step for this stock is to pour a pewter nose cap. The walnut will be done with Danish Oil Finish. Very nice stuff, polimerizes into a very tough coat and darkens the walnut.

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Being the owner of a couple of Renegades myself, I'd surely like to see pics as you go along if it's feasible. Especially of that nosecap.

Thanks,

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
I cannot fib on this one. This stock is actually for an 1884 trapdoor BPCR rifle I need to finish before I start my next ML project. Anyways, I cut off the ebony cap and inletted where the pewter will meet the wood. The screws are to lock the nose cap without visible screwholes. I will make a mold with cardboard from a frozen pizza box and pour the molten pewter in places on the stock.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Keep the pics coming. Might interesting.

Fiddlesticks

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
The pour!!!
Looks like mt sling mount got buried.
I guess it gets dug out

Factor
posted Hide Post
I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Me too Archie, keep those pics comin'! I have a project much like that one goin' on right now as well.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
Now I get to talk about the mistake I made. You will notice on the second pic there is a piece of tape under the pewter that got past my attempt at a dam". When the molten pewter broke past my attempted "dam" and came into contact with the tape it turned the glue on the tape into a gas which then aerated the molten pewter. the result is a bunch of holes in the end cap. I removed the endcap by carefully heating it with an an acetaline torch then prying away the pewter closest to the wood. I will try again and post pics when I get there.

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
This time I eliminated all tape and used cable ties, popcicle sticks and a hose clamp to hold things in place and make dams. I also used a chunk of clay to dam up the sling mount. As you can see it did not get buried this time. There was a bit of a leak on one side but no big deal. I will start filing in a day or two as time allows.

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post

Factor
posted Hide Post
Can't figure out what part the popcicle sticks play. Are they between the nosecap and the forend of the stock?

Fiddlesticks

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
The popsicle sticks guide the molten pewter along the top rail of the stock and prevent it from surounding the barrel. Also to dam up the small triangle gap created by the stock and barrel. Other wise the molten pewter might flow out along the gap created by the stock and barrel. I am not certain they are needed but in my mind they made sense.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Think I've got it. Keep it up. Very interesting.

Fiddlesticks

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
shaped to stock.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Looking good. Anything new on it?

Fiddlesticks

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
I a currently working on the butt plate and I want to complete that before I do anything else to the stock. I like the wood on the end but decided I need something more durable for an actual plate. I have a chunk of buffalo horn that would ake a nice plate or I have been experimenting with brass with pewter inlays. This is an old chunk of brass that I finally got the pewter to flow into. preheating the brass and using lots of flux and then of course grinding and sanding.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Now that I want to see.

Fiddlesticks

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
first coat of danish oil