MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    False tiger stripping on gun stocks,,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

False tiger stripping on gun stocks,,
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I am looking for a tutorial on Tiger Stripping gun stocks,,I have some stocks that need a little cosmetic work,plan birch/maple,,anyone have a handle on it??

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/theclassroom.htm
Scroll down until you find the instructions "How Do You Stripe a Leman stock?" by one of the finest builders working today

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow:

The site the GreyWolf has given you is the best. I spent some time with Jack a couple of years ago learning to do this on a Leman Rifle I was building for Bent's Fort.

A couple of hints: construct a brush by taking a 2-inch (+,-) paint brush and cutting the brush bristles to pattern you striping. Sorry that is kind of difficult to explain. The bristles will kind of look like the top of an old tower on a castle, short stub, space (no stubs), short stub, space, short stub.

I used black leather dye to paint my stripes.

Remember, these were done in mass and very quickly at the Leman factory. If you examine the originals up close the striping is far from perfect. In fact, if your strips run together every so often, it looks even more PC.

If you built or are building the rifle keep a piece of wood from the stock for a practice go. If not just run a couple of practice stripes on a piece of 2 x 4.

Most of all just go for it. I have to admit, it is kind of a gut check, but remember, the originals are far from perfect and this was done on the cheap trade guns, not an expensive custom. Once you get going and are over the shock of painting you gun it's kind of fun and will turn out great.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll just put my head down and charge right in,,thanks for the comeback,reads like it should work.Might come up with some fine looking "designer" firewood,,,ha ha ha ha ha,Like my Dad would say, "flat black paint cover all mistakes"!!!!!

Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
GreyWolf - Don't know if I want to try this, but as the owner of an original Leman that has such stripes, I greatly appreciate the linked information - thanks for posting it !!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leonard,

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
This is about the best job I have seen as far as fake striping goes.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Eric who,when,how??? Just what I am looking for.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I think that picture came form the American Longrifle site, you might try a search over there for faux striping.

A guy contacted me about building his first rifle and sent pictures. He had taken a blow torch and striped his entire rifle stock with black, 2" wide stripes just like one would stripe a ramrod, it looked hideous. I asked him why he would do such a thing to a flintlock, he said " I like the way it looks", end of story.

I hunted up the above picture and sent it to him to show him how fake striping was supposed to look.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures of a Jack Brooks Leman Trade Rifle with the artificial stripes he applied as described in his tutorial.

Phil Meek

Posts: 78 | Location: Denver | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Meeks, thanks to all that have responded,,just need to be "brave" and go for it. Would like to go over more instructions,,,Vidio's would be great,,,,That is one beautiful rifle,,figuring it isn't his first,got lots of sandpaper (wood erasure) if need be!!!!!!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Why don't you get a small piece of maple or poplar from the Home Depot and use it as a test piece? I'd get about a 2' piece, and do 6" on one side, then add the brown stain, then finish with a couple of coats of BLO.... and check the results. Then try another 6" with different dyes, and repeat, then try the opposite side when you have a good idea on the dyes, only use different finishes, Danish Oil, tung oil, teak oil, etc....so you'd up with a sort of sample guide...then try it on the stock. You can also use the barrel channel and the butt of the stock under the butt plate for testing too.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about refinishing my old CVA Kentucky that I put together from a kit when I was a teen. This might be something to do to it to hide the thin brass plate that joins the 2 piece stock. Paint the plate's edges black and it would blend in with the stripping.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post