MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Making an octagon to round barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making an octagon to round barrel
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
How difficult is it to make an octagon to round barrel? I have an old .50 barrel from a Dixie Tennessee rifle that I have had sitting in the garage for 15+ years. How difficult is it to file the flats round? I think you would file the edge of the flat to make 16 flats then file those to round. Has anyone ever done it themselves? I would love to have it reamed to 24ga smooth as well. Dont reall want to spend $200+ for a new barrel.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
There are two problems that I have seen from filing. First, you have to be careful and chalk your files prior to filing, as tiny shavings that get lodged in the file teeth will mar the surface of the barrel, while chalking allows these bits to fall free. Second, you have to be very careful you don't "swamp" the barrel as this is a natural tendency when hand filing a long piece of metal. Not that having a swamped barrel is bad, but you might thin the barrel too much in the middle.

As for reaming it out, you probably should have that done first. Then check the weight, and then decide if you want to do all that work. A "smooth rifle" in 24-bore would be quite handy.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I would look for a machinist and explain what you want. Then get a quote. New barrel might be cheapest way to go.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Its not hard . I would have it bored first
Do it just the way your said . By taking the corners down first . Draw file it and as dave said chalk your file . To keep thing consistent just watch the width of the flat your making . Keep it consistent and consistent with each other .. The fun and time consuming part, since you have a strait octagon barrel is going to be all the filing needed to get a taper from your transition to the muzzle

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
The inner machinist in me says use a lathe. This is the perfect job for the old style faceplate and lathe dog. Mount between 2 dead centers and if you want a taper, adjust the tailstock off center

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I thought those .50 caliber Dixie Tennessee Rifle barrels were only 7/8" across the flats... A marginal size even for .50 caliber. Reaming it out to 24 gauge (.58 caliber) would not leave much of a sidewall. I think your best bet would be to sell or trade the barrel you have, if you don't want it, and save up for a proper OTR barrel in the caliber or gauge that you want.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shoshone:
The inner machinist in me says use a lathe. This is the perfect job for the old style faceplate and lathe dog. Mount between 2 dead centers and if you want a taper, adjust the tailstock off center

I don't think the cost would make it reasonable. As much as I would like to agree. Having turned lots of long shafts in my day, the taper, depending on the barrel length, would be unsupported for too great of length. The feeds - speeds and cut depth would demand too much time, read here cost. Unless it was done in sections on a tracer lathe. But again the cost of between 50 and 80 per hour. And it still has to be bored out... unless the barrelsmith will do the job for less.

Considering a barrel like you want can be had for around $250.00 or so...

Sell the barrel and buy what you want.

That's my .002

Unless you have Captchees skills Smiler which I don't.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Save the time,,,, go spend the money and get a new barrel!!!Sell the one you have and go shooting. There is a formula as to how thin the barrel can/should be,,dont have my Tec Manual at hand or I would check it out.. might be a good reason to buy a new rifle!!!Never pass up a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post