New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working on a GPR
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
You're in over your head Mike. Obsidian will throw a good spark The spark comes from the steel, not the rock. Any rock that will shave steel will throw a spark. I've struck fires with paleo points. Just before I posted this I ran upstairs and struck sparks from an obsidian cache knife.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Scoundrel,,I am not in over my head,if you can make sparks with glass,whoopie,I cannot. Wish I could,,pop bottles are much cheaper to buy than flint,and more plentiful as well.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Oy.Sorry to stir up this tempest...I was thinking the same as the other guys,that if you could knap it it would work for gun flints,I guess it isn't that simple.Maybe you need to talk to one of them top-notch gun builders to find out if it's a matter of adjusting the lock.This is a very interesting subject.I,for one,would like to know how it sorts out....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Boartooth, pick up a piece of sharp obsidian and strike it with your fire steel. It ain't pop bottle glass.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I do have to back up scoundrel on this one. I've gotten sparks on my fire steel using obsidian.
It's a comfort to me to know that it works seeing as how we've got it coming out our ears around here.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Well gentlemen,do have at it Cool but when you drop the hammer and all your weapon does is snap instead of fire,Sorry that's hunting

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I do have occasional contact with other members of the Mountain fraternity around here,I'ma gonna try to remember to ask one'a them if they ever use obsidian,and what the results are,for gun sparking.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Think I'll try it too. First I have to TRY to find some. Pretty danged rare here in western Virginia. Now, if limestone or granite sparked, I'd be in hog heaven and happy as a pig in... (insert yer favorite word here).

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post